Electronics (alt.electronics)

Old February 16th 16, 09:23 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

Default Flimsy power supply won't drive a little fan!

I have a pile of power supplies which used to power CCTV cameras. They're rated at 12V 1A. They're very light and give out precisely 12V with no load, so they must be regulated switched mode. So why is it when I try to power a 0.15A 12V fan (a 120mm Corsair computer fan), they fail very quickly? The first one started whining and gave out only 0.5 volts after only half an hour, and the second one went pop after half an hour. I've had two of the others powering door entry RFID coils and the door solenoids and they've been happy for a few years.

--
Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "asteroids"?

Old February 17th 16, 03:54 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook wrote:

In article , says...

I have a pile of power supplies which used to power CCTV cameras. They're rated at 12V 1A. They're very light and give out precisely 12V with no load, so they must be regulated switched mode. So why is it when I try to power a 0.15A 12V fan (a 120mm Corsair computer fan), they fail very quickly? The first one started whining and gave out only 0.5 volts after only half an hour, and the second one went pop after half an hour. I've had two of the others powering door

entry RFID coils and the door solenoids and they've been happy for a few years.

Most likely bad caps , that is most common failure mode for them.

But for two of them? When another two (of the same age from the came camera set) have worked for a couple of years powering door locks?

I've opened them up, this is what they look like. I can see the power transistor in the top one (the one that whistled and produced bugger all voltage) has been warm enough to discolour and crack the yellow wax stuff (ringed in green), but the caps look fine. In the one that went pop, a fuse has exploded (ringed in red).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1sc56tx0vtmzuv/PSUs.jpg?dl=0

--
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
Old May 16th 16, 11:19 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Back EMF from the fan?
Old May 16th 16, 11:57 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:19:41 +0100, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Which should be less than the 12V coming from the PSU, right?

Old May 17th 16, 06:39 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:19:41 +0100, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Back emf can be 5 - 8x the applied voltage - its the whole basis of flyback
EHT in CRT TVs. When designing solid state ign coil drivers for cars; you
have to design for around 200V peak on the LT winding.

The fan has a BLDC motor, so any back emf is contained by the internal
circuitry - although PC servicing sites advise against blowing dust and
fluff out of fans with compressed air. The magnetic rotor spinning round the
coils will develop voltage, but I'd expect any damage to be confined to the
fan itself.

Old May 17th 16, 07:55 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

On Tue, 17 May 2016 18:39:44 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:19:41 +0100, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Surely that's only on disconnecting the power to the motor?

The fan has a BLDC motor, so any back emf is contained by the internal
circuitry - although PC servicing sites advise against blowing dust and
fluff out of fans with compressed air. The magnetic rotor spinning round the
coils will develop voltage, but I'd expect any damage to be confined to the
fan itself.

I blow sharply with my mouth to clear dust (with the PC on), often accelerating the fans, it's never broken one.

--
I got invited to a party and was told to dress to kill. Apparently a turban, beard and a backpack wasn't what they had in mind.
Old May 18th 16, 06:44 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Tue, 17 May 2016 18:39:44 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

news
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Back emf happens when you interrupt the current through an inductor. In a
BLDC motor; there's circuitry between the coils and the leads that emerge -
if the circuitry didn't handle the back emf; it wouldn't last long.

The fan has a BLDC motor, so any back emf is contained by the internal
circuitry - although PC servicing sites advise against blowing dust and
fluff out of fans with compressed air. The magnetic rotor spinning round
the
coils will develop voltage, but I'd expect any damage to be confined to
the
fan itself.

I blow sharply with my mouth to clear dust (with the PC on), often
accelerating the fans, it's never broken one.

Not quite the same as blasting the fan with a 100 psi air nozzle is it.

Old May 19th 16, 04:54 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

On Wed, 18 May 2016 18:44:43 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Tue, 17 May 2016 18:39:44 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:19:41 +0100, Wayne Chirnside
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook

In article , says...

Maybe the PSU was really **** then. But I've used 2 of the same model to power a solenoid for years, and they haven't complained.

The fan has a BLDC motor, so any back emf is contained by the internal
circuitry - although PC servicing sites advise against blowing dust and
fluff out of fans with compressed air. The magnetic rotor spinning round
the
coils will develop voltage, but I'd expect any damage to be confined to
the
fan itself.

I blow sharply with my mouth to clear dust (with the PC on), often
accelerating the fans, it's never broken one.

Not quite the same as blasting the fan with a 100 psi air nozzle is it.

That's a narrow jet, I doubt it would speed the fan up any more than blowing.

--
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Pilot training manual
Old May 19th 16, 06:15 PM posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.chatter

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Wed, 18 May 2016 18:44:43 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

news

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:54:29 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:50:38 -0000, M Philbrook
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

What type of PSU?

If its multi rail, probably only one rail is sampled to control PWM. If you
don't draw current from that rail; all the others collapse.

The fan has a BLDC motor, so any back emf is contained by the internal
circuitry - although PC servicing sites advise against blowing dust and
fluff out of fans with compressed air. The magnetic rotor spinning
round
the
coils will develop voltage, but I'd expect any damage to be confined to
the
fan itself.

I blow sharply with my mouth to clear dust (with the PC on), often
accelerating the fans, it's never broken one.

Not quite the same as blasting the fan with a 100 psi air nozzle is it.

That's a narrow jet, I doubt it would speed the fan up any more than
blowing.

I've spun fans as fast as an angle grinder disk with the jet from a factory
air nozzle.