DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Dryer plug for our British treadmill??? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/36731-dryer-plug-our-british-treadmill.html)

doublethegarlic April 16th 04 06:46 AM

Dryer plug for our British treadmill???

Our British treadmill is a juicy 5' from our (U.S.) 220V dryer outlet,
and since that treadmill has now blown the third fuse (in as many
weeks) on our specially-bought transformer (though I reckon the fault
lies more with house voltage spikes), I am wondering....

Can I safely replace the British plug on the end of the treadmill with
a dryer plug? (And, if so, could anyone give guidance as to how this
might be done?)

Long shot: Does anyone know if plug adapters exist for this sort of
thing??

Treadmill: 6 A, 50/60 Hz, 230V
NEMA 14 30R outlet: 30A, 125/250V

Many thanks,

doublethegarlic

JeffM April 18th 04 07:26 AM

Dryer plug for our British treadmill???

Treadmill: 6 A, 50/60 Hz, 230V
NEMA 14 30R outlet: 30A, 125/250V
doublethegarlic

Yes. A 30 amp plug on a 6 amp load will work.

Larry April 18th 04 07:37 AM

(doublethegarlic) wrote in message . com...
Our British treadmill is a juicy 5' from our (U.S.) 220V dryer outlet,
and since that treadmill has now blown the third fuse (in as many
weeks) on our specially-bought transformer (though I reckon the fault
lies more with house voltage spikes), I am wondering....

Can I safely replace the British plug on the end of the treadmill with
a dryer plug? (And, if so, could anyone give guidance as to how this
might be done?)

Long shot: Does anyone know if plug adapters exist for this sort of
thing??

Treadmill: 6 A, 50/60 Hz, 230V
NEMA 14 30R outlet: 30A, 125/250V

Many thanks,

doublethegarlic

What your thinking of doing will work, but not very safe (motor
protection)

If you used a dryer cord from outlet to a sub fuse/circuit breaker
wall box.
This sub box should be fused at 9 or 10 amps and the output wired to
your treadmill.
Hope it helps.

doublethegarlic April 25th 04 07:23 AM

Dryer plug for our British treadmill???

Dear Larry and Jeff,

Thanks for your help regarding amps and circuit breaker wiring. I
finally located the niggly little fuses through Gould (5x20mm 15A
250V), but perhaps a _direct_ 240 line to the fuse box will be the
best/safest longterm bet. ??

Thanks again,

doublethegarlic