Electronics (alt.electronics)

James Duncan

Default Questions about LED's???

I'd like to change the LED's inside my computer case (from green to blue)
but I'm not sure if its a matter of simply cutting off the old ones and
soldering on the new ones?

I've read that LED's come in different voltages? If this is the case how
would I work out what voltage I'd need?

Sorry if all this sounds really stupid and simple but I admit to knowing
nothing about LED's and my electrical is very limited. However I'm pretty
nifty with a soldering iron!

Any advice appreciated.

Jim.

scada

"James Duncan" wrote in message
I'd like to change the LED's inside my computer case (from green to blue)
but I'm not sure if its a matter of simply cutting off the old ones and
soldering on the new ones?

I've read that LED's come in different voltages? If this is the case how
would I work out what voltage I'd need?

Sorry if all this sounds really stupid and simple but I admit to knowing
nothing about LED's and my electrical is very limited. However I'm pretty
nifty with a soldering iron!

Any advice appreciated.

Jim.

Most of those small LEDs are around 1.8 - 2.1 Volts. The LED is current
limited usually by a resistor so the LED voltage is not critical. You do
need to observe polarity however, but if it doesn't light - just reverse the
leads.

JeffM

change the LED's (from green to blue)
I've read that LED's come in different voltages?
If this is the case how would I work out what voltage I'd need?
James Duncan

Most of those small LEDs are around 1.8 - 2.1 Volts.
...so the LED voltage is not critical.
scada

The voltage on blue LEDs is typically higher.
http://www.google.com/search?&q=blue-leds+volts+Gallium

Use Ohm's law to figure out circuits.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sci-electronics+ohm's-law+LED%20OR%20LEDs&sa=N&tab=wg&scoring=d