Electronics (alt.electronics)

Bart T.

Default Getting Started w/ Circuits

Hello,

I'd like to get involved in designing and constructing circuits
involving ICs. I don't have much knowledge about electronics but am
willing to learn. Getting started seems like the most difficult part.

I'd like to tackle some projects involving EPROMs and simple
microcontrollers or processors (the 6502 seems ideal.) Rather than
just implementing someone else's designs, I'd like to learn about how
to work with the components on my own.

I've talked with some people and have been told that I should look
into designing circuits with CAD and then simulating them. This would
be nice because it would save me the tedium of having to order parts,
assemble them, and finding out the circuit doesn't work.

But which CAD and simulation software, specifically, would I need? Can
any of them simulate complex ICs like the 6502 and ROM/RAM chips that
would be easy to get a hold of once I decide to build a design? Keep
in mind I'm just a college kid with a very limited budget.

I'm a very competent (for a hobbyist) programmer and have dealt with
various assembly languages, so the software side is not a problem. I'd
like to branch out to hardware.

I took a look at some simple 6502 projects and they didn't look too
complicated. I could understand most of the logic but what I don't
have a grasp on is how to read and make use of timing diagrams,
knowing when to use pull-up resistors, etc. Where can I turn to learn
more?

Thanks

Email to trzynadl AT unr DOT nevada DOT edu
JeffM

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain