Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default PSU Capacitor Question

Hi all,

I have a PSU here from a BT branded modem-router. One of the capacitors
has gone pop. It's a 16v 47uF. I've had a dig through my box of bits and
found a 16v 220uF - will this do, or do I really need to go out and get
a 47uF?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
--
(remove spamblock or reply to group)
Posted to alt.electronics

"David Baxter" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a PSU here from a BT branded modem-router. One of the capacitors
has gone pop. It's a 16v 47uF. I've had a dig through my box of bits and
found a 16v 220uF - will this do, or do I really need to go out and get a
47uF?

It's worth a try. Some switch-mode caps require very low ESR.

Posted to alt.electronics

Charles wrote:

It's worth a try. Some switch-mode caps require very low ESR.

Thanks, Charles. I'll give it a go and report back.

Cheers,
Dave
--
(remove spamblock or reply to group)
Posted to alt.electronics

It's worth a try. Some switch-mode caps require very low ESR.

Thanks, Charles. I'll give it a go and report back.

Follow up;

I fitted the 220uF capacitor and tentatively fired it up. It works
absolutely fine - I've flashed the firmware to the latest version. Just
need to get a specific cable to hook it up to the phone line and away it
goes!

Many thanks. :-)

Dave
--
(remove spamblock or reply to group)
Posted to alt.electronics

"David Baxter" wrote in message
news
It's worth a try. Some switch-mode caps require very low ESR.

Thanks, Charles. I'll give it a go and report back.

Follow up;

I fitted the 220uF capacitor and tentatively fired it up. It works
absolutely fine - I've flashed the firmware to the latest version. Just
need to get a specific cable to hook it up to the phone line and away it
goes!

Many thanks. :-)

Glad you got it going ;)

Philips DFR1500 PSU board question doug Electronics Repair 0 December 23rd 06 03:31 PM
replacing capacitor in PSU orange Electronics Repair 15 August 6th 05 08:21 PM
AT PSU changeover to ATX PSU. Power button-buy one? Darren Electronics Repair 8 February 7th 05 05:18 PM
Capacitor Question Steve Electronics 2 July 27th 04 08:29 PM
CAPACITOR QUESTION Dennis Bush Electronics 9 August 21st 03 12:31 AM