Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default laptop batery scamatic needed

I have a compuq presario 2100 laptop with a bad batery, I want to
understand how this perticuler batery works so I can redesignit to work
better.

where can I find scematics for these type of things.

"hpf4809af4812a"
"lithium-ion battery module"

14.8 volts 4400 ma
Posted to alt.electronics

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 06:22:58 GMT, chris gareau wrote:

I have a compuq presario 2100 laptop with a bad batery, I want to
understand how this perticuler batery works so I can redesignit to work
better.

---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

--
JF
Posted to alt.electronics

"chris gareau" wrote in message
I have a compuq presario 2100 laptop with a bad batery, I want to
understand how this perticuler batery works so I can redesignit to work
better.

where can I find scematics for these type of things.

"hpf4809af4812a"
"lithium-ion battery module"

14.8 volts 4400 ma

In the past, I have built substitutions for laptop batteries, but I would
not recommend it unless you have a good experience working with electronics.
Anyway, I can see two methods of dealing with this, both of which involve
disassembling the battery case or fabricating a case the same size as the
battery. Of course, I make no garuntees if this will work for your exact
purpose and assume no responsibility. These are just my ideas.

METHOD 1: POWER SUPPLY SUBSTITUTION
If the battery is large enough, you may be able to build a small, regulated
power supply into a housing the size of the battery case, with appropriate
voltage connections to the original pinouts. The voltage must be the same
but current rating can be equal or greater. Probably the LM317 voltage
regulator would be a good chip to work with, or something similar, since
14.8 is an odd voltage and will require some tuning of the power supply
circuit. I have done this in the past with a Compaq LTE Elite laptop when
the battery died.

METHOD 2: BATTERY SUBSTITUTION BOX
This is what I did with a camcorder battery that would no longer hold the
charge. I cracked open the shell and discarded the guts. Then I mounted
holder housings for eight "AA" cells and wired them up so that the voltage
(12 Volts) would be obtainable from the normal output pins. Of course, they
drained so quickly it wasn't really worth using butit was an interesting
project anyway.

METHOD 3: BATTERY ADAPTER
I have not tried this but it is an idea. If you can get your hands on a
similarly-rated rechargable battery (same voltage, equal or greater current)
that is physically smaller than the original, then perhaps you can open and
empty the old battery, and rig the new, rechargable battery into the old
case? That way, you can take it out and recharge it but it will still
physically work with the computer.

Ernie