Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default suggest a topic for project

Im studying in 4th sem in NIT i would like someone to suggest me a
project topic on electric machine (transformer or dc shunt motor or
induction motor) taking into consideration that i being in 4 sem .Make
the suggestions in detail with few link to websites on that topic .

Posted to alt.electronics

Bravo! I have just the job for you. And I think there is a place for it in
the marketplace if that's important to you.

I have been shopping for a sump pump to deal with an occasional water
problem I have at my house and I have been thus far frustrated because noone
seems to offer what I need.
I have a patio off my rec room and when it rains unusually hard and long the
water builds up on the patio to a few inches depth and threatens to come in
the patio door into my rec room. I need to be able to leave town for a few
weeks without having to worry that this will happen while I'm gone. So I
was looking for a pump to solve this problem - BUT.
There seem to be two different versions of unattended sump pumps on the
market neither of which will work in my situation.
Version one is controlled by a level sensing switch that is contained in a
float that is tethered to the pump body by the electrical cord. The problem
with this model is that the float switch has a very large amount of
hysteresis and the float itself is rather large. The float must be elevated
to a position above the cord tether where the cord makes an angle of
approximately 45 degrees above horizontal before the pump turns on. Then
the float must be lowered to a position below the cord tether to where the
cord makes an angle of approximately 45 degrees below the horizontal before
the pump will turn off. The resulting total hysteresis in the water level
with the shortest tether possible is roughly 8 inches and my rec room starts
filling up when the water is 4 inches deep so this pump won't do. These
pumps were meant to work in a small pit 2 feet deep that drains a larger
area but I don't want to dig such a pit in my patio.
Version two was I think marketed to deal with the shortcomings of version
one for users like me but also has problems.
Version two automatically starts up every 3 minutes and if after starting up
it senses that there is no load on the motor indicating no water then it
immediately shuts down. This would work fine if you plugged it in when it
started raining and went off for a few hours but if you leave this thing
starting up every three minutes for three weeks I am pretty sure that it
will burn up the shaft seals because they are lubricated and cooled by the
water.

So my project is to design a device to solve this problem.
1) It should be totally self contained and would replace the float switch in
version one and be powered by the line voltage.
2) It should be capable of starting the pump when the water level was as low
as 2 inches.
3) It should have a hysteresis of one inch.
4) It should be safe with no line voltages exposed on sensory pads.
5) It would be capable of controlled a 1/2 hp induction motor as used in
these sump pumps.

I'm sure there's more but let's see if you're interested first.

Let me know.
"prathamesh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Im studying in 4th sem in NIT i would like someone to suggest me a
project topic on electric machine (transformer or dc shunt motor or
induction motor) taking into consideration that i being in 4 sem .Make
the suggestions in detail with few link to websites on that topic .

Posted to alt.electronics

Jack,

My first advice would be to be sure to divert your rain run off around your
property to minimize the amount of water accumulation. This would be with
swales or brumes to direct the water away from the house.

Also depending upon the gph or gpm there is a product that will do what you
want with minimal disruption of your patio. This will depend upon a number
of factors as to where the water will be transported. If the water can be
pumped to your basement drain that is one thing. If it needs to be pumped
to a storm drain it will be important to know the height of the lift or
head. All this is important information to be known.

But then this might take the fun away from "prathamesh"

Les