DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Testing a Gamma Radiation Detector (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/172500-testing-gamma-radiation-detector.html)

Brad August 14th 06 06:51 PM

Testing a Gamma Radiation Detector

Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Steve Saunders August 15th 06 01:57 AM

Testing a Gamma Radiation Detector

Maybe...

From a Googled source on the net...

"Text books state that Americium 241 is used in smoke detectors yet
Americium 241 is ranked 14th out of 236 radioactive materials in level of
radiotoxicity and is noted to cause cancer. But is the radio-nuclide
contained in smoke detectors actually Americium 241? When a scintillation
meter is run over a smoke detector, gamma radiation is recorded at up to 500
counts per second (1). Americium 241 is mainly an alpha emitter which
represents 85% of its radioactive output. Gamma emission comprise only 8%."

jasen August 15th 06 09:03 AM

On 2006-08-14, Brad wrote:
Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

AIUI those sources produce mostly alpha.

If you want gamma try potassium, eg: potassium chloride "No Salt(tm)"
or potash fertiliser etc...

Bye.
Jasen