Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Testing a Gamma Radiation Detector

Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Posted to alt.electronics

Maybe...

From a Googled source on the net...

"Text books state that Americium 241 is used in smoke detectors yet
Americium 241 is ranked 14th out of 236 radioactive materials in level of
radiotoxicity and is noted to cause cancer. But is the radio-nuclide
contained in smoke detectors actually Americium 241? When a scintillation
meter is run over a smoke detector, gamma radiation is recorded at up to 500
counts per second (1). Americium 241 is mainly an alpha emitter which
represents 85% of its radioactive output. Gamma emission comprise only 8%."

"Brad" wrote in message
Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument
is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect
gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-08-14, Brad wrote:
Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

AIUI those sources produce mostly alpha.

If you want gamma try potassium, eg: potassium chloride "No Salt(tm)"
or potash fertiliser etc...

Bye.
Jasen

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM
Cost of electrical testing Cicero UK diy 17 September 16th 05 09:56 PM
Dodgy Cable Detector? Fitz UK diy 1 June 28th 05 01:33 PM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM