Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Building a transformer

Greetings to the collective.

For my next project I want to build a bench power supply and do away
with this old switch mode AT computer PSU that i'm currently using.

The design I have in mind will be pretty beefy, giving a wide range of
fixed and variable output voltages (i'm thinking from -50v up to +50)
and deliver up to 5amps of current. if my estimates are right i'll need
a 600va+ (100v * 5a + overhead) transformer to do the job well. Now i've
had a look at some transformers in this range, and they're a little out
of my price range. so now i'm considering building my own.

The specifications I need are as follows:

primary: 0-230v @ 50Hz
Secondary: 60v-0-60v
secondary output current max: 5A

I have an intermediate understanding of transformers, but have never
actually built one, hence I am seeking advice from those with experience
in this field.
So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.

regards,
Mark