Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default UPS not For ...

These typical UPS systems from APC, et al. obviously can run a computer
because they become an inverter when the AC input drops out. I don't
believe that the output then is a pure sine wave. Perhaps it is a square
wave or modified sine wave? In any case, what types of equipment should
they not be used with? Can they, for instance, power a Ham Radio
transceiver? Thank you.

Cordially,
west

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-07-27, west wrote:
These typical UPS systems from APC, et al. obviously can run a computer
because they become an inverter when the AC input drops out. I don't
believe that the output then is a pure sine wave. Perhaps it is a square
wave or modified sine wave? In any case, what types of equipment should
they not be used with?

mainly large-ish induction motors, (washing machine?)

Can they, for instance, power a Ham Radio transceiver? Thank you.

probably OK if they can produce enough power.

anything with a pure resistive load or a switched-mode powersupply
will be fine. small transformers are ok. I'd check the documentation
before connectring someting with a large transformer.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics

west wrote:
These typical UPS systems from APC, et al. obviously can run a computer
because they become an inverter when the AC input drops out. I don't
believe that the output then is a pure sine wave. Perhaps it is a square
wave or modified sine wave? In any case, what types of equipment should
they not be used with? Can they, for instance, power a Ham Radio
transceiver? Thank you.

Cordially,
west

What UPS do you have? if you check the technical specs. it should
specify weather it's a pure sine wave output or not. I know some of the
higher end UPS's definately do pure sine wave.

Mark