Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Audio output transformer location

Is it better to mount the transformer on the printed wiring board or the speaker frame itself? I think the speaker is a better spot b/c it makes the board cheaper (less holes, less space) but will it adversely affect accoustics? I don't notice a difference.
Posted to alt.electronics

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:40:26 GMT, ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦
wrote:

Is it better to mount the transformer on the printed wiring board or
the speaker frame itself? I think the speaker is a better spot b/c
it makes the board cheaper (less holes, less space) but will it
adversely affect accoustics? I don't notice a difference.

---
If you mount it on the speaker frame the vibration can cause the
transformer to move, causing the windings to cut the lines of force
generated by the speaker's magnet, introducing distortion into the
system.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics

So it is actually better to mount the transformer onto the PWB then. I have
come across it mounted to the speaker a lot on older radios though. They
sound so well compared to modern sets in my opinion that I thought this may
have been a better way to do it.