Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
Ash

Default simple LED sequence

Hello

I am attempting to create a basic LED sequence

On Pulse
LED 1 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 2 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 3 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 4 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 5 - ON

I was considering using a PIC but with no knowledge of PIC programming,
and after having read a beginners guide to it I feel that it may be too
complicated.

Is there an easier way to produce this sequence without using multiple
logic gates? or a simple method of progamming a PIC to perform this
function

Thanks

Ash

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On 25 Feb 2006 08:13:38 -0800, "Ash"
wrote:

Hello

I am attempting to create a basic LED sequence

On Pulse
LED 1 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 2 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 3 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 4 - ON
Pause 5 mins
LED 5 - ON

I was considering using a PIC but with no knowledge of PIC programming,
and after having read a beginners guide to it I feel that it may be too
complicated.

Is there an easier way to produce this sequence without using multiple
logic gates? or a simple method of progamming a PIC to perform this
function

---
Well, you've gotta build it out something, so here's a 2 chip
solution for ya. Spare the extra nand gates by connecting their
inputs to Vcc or GND, and view in Courier:

..+5V------+----+
.. | |
.. | [1M]
.. | |
.. [1500R] |
.. | +----|-\
.. | | | ----[LED5]--[1500R]--+5v
.. +----|----|+/
.. | | LM339A
.. | |
.. [536R] |
.. | +----|-\
.. | | | ----[LED4]--[1500R]--+5v
.. +----|----|+/
.. | | B
.. | |
.. [715R] |
.. | +----|-\
.. | | | ----[LED3]--[1500R]--+5v
.. +----|----|+/
.. | | C
.. | |
.. [953R] |
.. | +----|-\
.. | | | ----[LED2]--[1500R]--+5v
.. +----|----|+/
.. | | D
.. | | +-[LED1]--[1500R]--+5v
.. [1300R] | |
.. | +-----D | B------+ +5
.. | |+ G--+--+--Y NAND | |
.. | [1000µF] S | A--+ | [1M]
.. | | | | | | |
..GND------+----+-----+ +--B | +---+
.._____ NAND Y--+ | |
..START--------------------------A | [0.1]
.. | |
.._____ | GND
..RESET------------------------------------+

The 1000µF cap needs to be a low-leakage electroyrolytic like a
Nichicon KL series, and the LEDs need to be high-efficiency types
like HLMP-4700.

Since the 1000µF cap is +/- 20%, you may want to change the 1 megohm
timing cap to a pot in series with a fixed resistor if you need any
kind of precision at all.

Or, do it with a µC.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

wrote:

[...]

. | |
. | [1M]
. | |
. [1500R] |
. | +----|-\
. | | | ----[LED5]--[1500R]--+5v
. +----|----|+/
. | | LM339A
. | |
. [536R] |
. | +----|-\
. | | | ----[LED4]--[1500R]--+5v
. +----|----|+/
. | | B
. | |
. [715R] |
. | +----|-\
. | | | ----[LED3]--[1500R]--+5v
. +----|----|+/
. | | C
. | |
. [953R] |
. | +----|-\
. | | | ----[LED2]--[1500R]--+5v
. +----|----|+/
. | | D
. | | +-[LED1]--[1500R]--+5v
. [1300R] | |
. | +-----D | B------+ +5
. | |+ G--+--+--Y NAND | |
. | [1000µF] S | A--+ | [1M]
. | | | | | | |
.GND------+----+-----+ +--B | +---+
._____ NAND Y--+ | |
.START--------------------------A | [0.1]
. | |
._____ | GND
.RESET------------------------------------+

The 1000µF cap needs to be a low-leakage electroyrolytic like a
Nichicon KL series, and the LEDs need to be high-efficiency types
like HLMP-4700.

Since the 1000µF cap is +/- 20%, you may want to change the 1 megohm
timing cap to a pot in series with a fixed resistor if you need any
kind of precision at all.

Or, do it with a µC.

---
Thinking about it a little bit more, if you were to replace the
fixed 1 megohm timing resistor with a pot and you adjusted it to
make the first five minute timing interval accurate, then all of the
other intervals would also be closer to what you're looking for.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics
Coyoteboy

"John Fields" wrote in message
---
Thinking about it a little bit more, if you were to replace the
fixed 1 megohm timing resistor with a pot and you adjusted it to
make the first five minute timing interval accurate, then all of the
other intervals would also be closer to what you're looking for.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

I have ultimate admiration for anyone who can come up with something like
that on the spare of the moment. Personally I'd take the 'easy' route and go
with a www.picaxe.co.uk picaxe micropro - so easy to use its untrue. I was
introduced to them by someone on here too.

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:08:41 +0000 (UTC), "Coyoteboy"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .
---
Thinking about it a little bit more, if you were to replace the
fixed 1 megohm timing resistor with a pot and you adjusted it to
make the first five minute timing interval accurate, then all of the
other intervals would also be closer to what you're looking for.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

I have ultimate admiration for anyone who can come up with something like
that on the spare of the moment. Personally I'd take the 'easy' route and go
with a www.picaxe.co.uk picaxe micropro - so easy to use its untrue. I was
introduced to them by someone on here too.

---
Thanks.

No offense, but it's the 'spur' of the moment. :-)

Also, take a look at the difference in price between my way and the
high way.