Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
Jim K

Default Please Help

Hi everyone whom answers,

I have a few specific operations that I need to perform, please give me some
insight as to how to go about it.

Please keep in mind that I know mostly squat about electronics. So I am
going to let you know what I would like to accomplish and I would appreciate
any help in letting me know what I need to do to make that happen. Also
please keep in mind that I am poor so if I could modify or use existing
appliances (I have access to some appliances) or other things, other than
having to buy them from the electronics store down the block that would be
wonderful.

Ok, so here goes:

I have to maintain two temperature settings, the first setting is "low"
which will operate at a range of 70 to 75 degrees, and the second setting is
"high" which will operate at a range of 170 to 180 degrees. I need a switch
to be added to the system, one light (one color) for low ("on" is
automatically, low) and one (another color) for high.

These temperature ranges are critical and must be self monitored and the
temperature of the heating unit (used electric water heater core) must
adjust itself to maintain that temperature. I am using standard American
house voltage of 115 to 120, 60HZ.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you in advance,

Jim K.

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:46:53 -0600, "Jim K"
wrote:

Hi everyone whom answers,

I have a few specific operations that I need to perform, please give me some
insight as to how to go about it.

Please keep in mind that I know mostly squat about electronics. So I am
going to let you know what I would like to accomplish and I would appreciate
any help in letting me know what I need to do to make that happen. Also
please keep in mind that I am poor so if I could modify or use existing
appliances (I have access to some appliances) or other things, other than
having to buy them from the electronics store down the block that would be
wonderful.

---
How much can you afford to spend on parts?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics
Dan Hollands

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

A little more info would be helpful

Are you heating a liquid, a gas or a solid

and are both elements in the same container with a switch to determine if
you want the temp to be high or low. Or are you heating two containers - one
high and one low.

Dan

Posted to alt.electronics
Jim K

I am heating a liquid. The elements are in the same vessel, the switch
determines the heat. Hope that helps.

Jim

"Dan Hollands" wrote in message

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:11:30 -0600, "Jim K"
wrote:

I am heating a liquid. The elements are in the same vessel, the switch
determines the heat. Hope that helps.

---
The "elements"?

Do you have more than one in there?

Is the vessel open so that some sort of a probe can be dunked into
the liquid to measure its temperature, or is it closed? If it's
closed, can you perforate the housing so a temperature sensor can be
inserted in order to measure the liquid temperature?

Basically, to make it easy on all of us, why don't you tell us what
it is you're trying to do? That is, if you can tell us what your
application is about we can tell you how to implement it for the
lowest cost.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Posted to alt.electronics
Dan Hollands

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

You are going to have to put a sensor in the liquid - such as an RTD or
Thermocouple and then have a device that will read the temperature and
operate a relay to control the heat

See the web sites below for typical devices that can do this:

http://www.phoenixcon.com/products/i...ts/5105900.pdf

http://www.bb-elec.com/product_famil...railtype =top

--
Dan Hollands