Electronics (alt.electronics)

David Andrews

Default Digital I/O Expansion

I have to expand i/o on a system that now has only 4 inputs and 4 outputs.
I need 12 inputs and 13 outputs.

Anybody got any ideas, i thought this would be easier.
Im familiar with the '249 output latches '151 and input multiplexors
but cant seem to get what i need... ?????

Dan Hollands

Hard to offer any advice when you give no clue as to the type of system you
are talking about
Computer
Data Logger
Controller of some type
etc

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

www.QuickScoreRace.com
"David Andrews" wrote in message
I have to expand i/o on a system that now has only 4 inputs and 4 outputs.
I need 12 inputs and 13 outputs.

Anybody got any ideas, i thought this would be easier.
Im familiar with the '249 output latches '151 and input multiplexors
but cant seem to get what i need... ?????

David Andrews

Dan,

It is a small embedded controller. I have to design an interface board
anyway.
Problem is mainly with the outputs now. I cant figure out how to expand the
4 into a greater number.
Im am not worried about the software end of it..

"Dan Hollands" wrote in message
.. .
Hard to offer any advice when you give no clue as to the type of system

you
are talking about
Computer
Data Logger
Controller of some type
etc

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr
Webster NY 14580
585-872-2606

www.QuickScoreRace.com
"David Andrews" wrote in message
I have to expand i/o on a system that now has only 4 inputs and 4

outputs.
I need 12 inputs and 13 outputs.

Anybody got any ideas, i thought this would be easier.
Im familiar with the '249 output latches '151 and input multiplexors
but cant seem to get what i need... ?????

Bart

[...]

Would a binary to decimal decoder work? Program the four outputs to
be 4bit binary numbers and end up with 16 outputs?
Look at truth table for Fairchild's DM74LS154 chip.
Bart

Jasen Betts

On 2005-10-26, David Andrews wrote:
I have to expand i/o on a system that now has only 4 inputs and 4 outputs.
I need 12 inputs and 13 outputs.

Anybody got any ideas, i thought this would be easier.
Im familiar with the '249 output latches '151 and input multiplexors
but cant seem to get what i need... ?????

use two of your pins one to clock and one to sense state zero on a counter
that gives you a sequential address scanner...

your 6 remaining lines are inputs and outputs to those addresses.

--

Bye.
Jasen