Electronics (alt.electronics)

Noozer

Default audio switchbox circuit?

These should be fairly simple circuits, but for some reason I can't get my
head around them. Probably do to not knowing what parts out there are
available and what they're called.

First circuit is simple...

My PC has a built in speaker for the soundcard. If I plug
speakers/headphones/etc into the line out port on the PC, the internal
speaker is turned off. Is it possible to keep the internal speaker working
when something is plugged into the line out port? I want to plug in an
extension cable so I can plug headphones into the PC without having to climb
behind my desk. It would be great if the internal speaker were disabled when
I have headphones plugged into the extension cable.

If it matters, this is an integrated SoundMax soundcard on a Dell PC.

Second circuit is a bit more complex...

I have two PC's and one set of quad speakers. One PC has quad output and the
other is just stereo. I plan on building a switchbox that sits on my desk to
control what audio goes where. What I'd like to be able to do is:
- switch the second pair of speakers between the secondary output on PC1
and the stereo output on PC2.
- Plug headphones into a jack on the switchbox and have it disable the
speakers associated with it. There would be a toggle switch to choose
between the front and read of the quad speakers.

Any help out there???

Noozer wrote:

These should be fairly simple circuits, but for some reason I can't get my
head around them. Probably do to not knowing what parts out there are
available and what they're called.

First circuit is simple...

My PC has a built in speaker for the soundcard. If I plug
speakers/headphones/etc into the line out port on the PC, the internal
speaker is turned off. Is it possible to keep the internal speaker working
when something is plugged into the line out port?

solder wires to the socket connections on the board, and add a socket
on end of wires. Then the jack switch isnt activated. Support the
mechanics of this properly, or one tug may rip your PCB traces off.

I want to plug in an
extension cable so I can plug headphones into the PC without having to climb
behind my desk. It would be great if the internal speaker were disabled when
I have headphones plugged into the extension cable.

hmm, can be done but you'll need to extend the switch pieces on the
card's socket and use an exntension socket with similar switching.
Might not be the easiest thing to find.

If it matters, this is an integrated SoundMax soundcard on a Dell PC.

Second circuit is a bit more complex...

I have two PC's and one set of quad speakers. One PC has quad output and the
other is just stereo. I plan on building a switchbox that sits on my desk to
control what audio goes where. What I'd like to be able to do is:
- switch the second pair of speakers between the secondary output on PC1
and the stereo output on PC2.

easy nuff, using a 4 pole 2 way switch.

- Plug headphones into a jack on the switchbox and have it disable the
speakers associated with it. There would be a toggle switch to choose
between the front and read of the quad speakers.

suggest using a separate switch to disable speakers. Parts are much
easier to get, and it gives you more control/options.

Any help out there???

xposted to seb

NT