Electronics (alt.electronics)

Craig Lefort

Default Sensors/detection system help

I am looking for some help in designing a very simple passive measurement
sensor system. Basically, I'd like to have some type of sensor (?) that
would be able to count the number of a specific object in a certain area and
output that number to some display. These objects could just have some
passive element that the sensor could detect, or give off some signal to
detect. For example, lets say there are 10 marbles on a table, 5 green and 5
blue marbles. I want some sensor to be able to tell me the number of green
marbles and the number of blue marbles in a given small area of the table
(i.e. some of the marbles might be out of this given area) and display it
electronically. Could anyone suggest or point me in the direction in the
kind of system I'd need to set up. Should something be attached or embedded
in the marbles that can be detected?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Craig

Jasen Betts

In article , Craig Lefort wrote:
I am looking for some help in designing a very simple passive measurement
sensor system. Basically, I'd like to have some type of sensor (?) that
would be able to count the number of a specific object in a certain area and
output that number to some display. These objects could just have some
passive element that the sensor could detect, or give off some signal to
detect. For example, lets say there are 10 marbles on a table, 5 green and 5
blue marbles. I want some sensor to be able to tell me the number of green
marbles and the number of blue marbles in a given small area of the table
(i.e. some of the marbles might be out of this given area) and display it
electronically. Could anyone suggest or point me in the direction in the
kind of system I'd need to set up. Should something be attached or embedded
in the marbles that can be detected?

you could make the blue marbles out of steel and the green ones out of copper
so that they'd respond, (differently) to low frequency electro magnetic waves.
but then you'd possibly have troouble gettin the sensor loop right so that a
single loop could count all the marbles...

on the other hand maybe a cheap USB camera and some vision software
could get you the result you want, how hard can it be to program a computer
to count green dots .

Bye.
Jasen

DRO System Mill/Drill Kenneth A. Emmert Metalworking 11 December 3rd 04 05:28 AM
Package vs. Split System A/C in Manufactured Home Bishoop Home Ownership 1 October 14th 04 04:39 AM
Cleaning out central heating system Dave UK diy 8 December 26th 03 05:47 PM
New system nightmare Victoria UK diy 18 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
Water system problem BigWallop UK diy 2 August 8th 03 11:12 AM