DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Using a Computer PSU without a computer (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/105348-using-computer-psu-without-computer.html)

simon lloyd May 6th 05 12:38 AM

Using a Computer PSU without a computer

Hello, I'm wanting to use a computer PSU as a PSU. The one I've just bought
doesn't work. I'm assuming that's because it needs a computer. So.... what
does the motherboard do, maybe connects the grey to the green, or the purple
to ground, or...does anyone know please??

Simon

ryan wiehle May 6th 05 01:24 AM

simon lloyd wrote:
Hello, I'm wanting to use a computer PSU as a PSU. The one I've just bought
doesn't work. I'm assuming that's because it needs a computer. So.... what
does the motherboard do, maybe connects the grey to the green, or the purple
to ground, or...does anyone know please??

Simon

connect a 2A load on the 5v leads

Andy P May 6th 05 02:05 AM

And also ground the green wire to turn it on. Well...possibly green.
IF it's one of them there proprietary ones it might not be the green
wire...but usually it's the green one.

sg May 6th 05 04:23 AM

Hi Simon,

Check out the follwoing thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...4ab342644b2966

Rgds,
Sachin

Dwayne May 6th 05 11:55 PM

"Andy P" wrote in message
And also ground the green wire to turn it on. Well...possibly green. IF
it's one of them there proprietary ones it might not be the green
wire...but usually it's the green one.

I sincerly hope you're not a bomb technician (just joking ~:-).

Dwayne