Default Combining two 30-amp lines?

If I want to run an appliance that needs 50 amps, is there any problem
with combining two 30-amp circuits of approximately the same length, as
long as the part that carries the full current is using properly-sized
cable? It seems like the circuit would have a 60 amp capacity.

Thanks in advance.

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
If I want to run an appliance that needs 50 amps, is there any problem
with combining two 30-amp circuits of approximately the same length, as
long as the part that carries the full current is using properly-sized
cable? It seems like the circuit would have a 60 amp capacity.

No it won't. You have to de-rate the cables some if they are close, in a
conduit, or, IIRC, run in parallel. The code book will tell you by how much.

Jerry G.

What you want to do is against the electrical code in most places. What you
need to do is to change the breaker to a 50 or 60 amps, and if the wiring is
not rated for this type of capacity, you will have to run in new wires.

You should be checking in your local area about the electrical codes, and
comply. If you do not comply, your home or business insurance (depending on
your location), will most likely be void, if they find out that the
standards are not right, and there is a hazard.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
oups.com...
If I want to run an appliance that needs 50 amps, is there any problem
with combining two 30-amp circuits of approximately the same length, as
long as the part that carries the full current is using properly-sized
cable? It seems like the circuit would have a 60 amp capacity.

Thanks in advance.

To all,

After considering the possible problems, I've decided to bite the
bullet and keep it standard and simple and go with one 50 amp path.
Thanks.