Mike

Default Hitachi CM803ET 21" monitor - vert collapse

For about 6 months the monitor suffered from vert collapse which could
be cured with a swift smack on the case, then it gave up, just a single
horizontal line. I took the cover off & found that tapping the LA7838
heatsink would cause the bottom 1" of the picture to 'hang' from the
line. At this point I sent the monitor off to the local TV guy for repair.
He phoned me a couple of days later saying the field output transformer
had gone, taking with it a couple of ic's and a bunch of caps, and would
cost about £200 to repair - which I declined. (A replacement can be
bought for not much more)
I now have it opened up on the bench and see the LA7838 has been resoldered.
Any ideas

tia
Mike
(spamtrap - remove my footwear to reply)

James Sweet

"Mike" wrote in message
For about 6 months the monitor suffered from vert collapse which could
be cured with a swift smack on the case, then it gave up, just a single
horizontal line. I took the cover off & found that tapping the LA7838
heatsink would cause the bottom 1" of the picture to 'hang' from the
line. At this point I sent the monitor off to the local TV guy for repair.
He phoned me a couple of days later saying the field output transformer
had gone, taking with it a couple of ic's and a bunch of caps, and would
cost about £200 to repair - which I declined. (A replacement can be
bought for not much more)
I now have it opened up on the bench and see the LA7838 has been

resoldered.
Any ideas

tia
Mike
(spamtrap - remove my footwear to reply)

Hard to say at this point, if you had taken it in for repair when it first
started acting up it probably would have been about 1/4 what it costs now to
have fixed.