dgf dgf is offline
Junior Member

Default Help Fixing Philips Magnavox 25ts54 TV

I have a Philips Magnavox TV that's on the outs.
Model #: 25TS54 C122
Chassis: 25B800-7652

It turns on for a few seconds, no picture, the screen starts to brighten a gray color with horizontal lines, then it turns itself off after 4-5 seconds. I've scanned the internet and searched for some answers. I don't believe it's the vertical IC since no colors are displayed. I could be wrong.

I've read other people having extremely similar, if not the exact same problem, with Philips Magnavox TV's. With the 27 inch TV's, seems most common culprit is a resistor known as the R3340. One person who fixed their set actually took pictures of their board and fix. Although similar my board is different. Now on my circuit board on the tube, it's labeled 25"-27" CRT Board APT187, but no 3340 resistor. Resistor designation seems relative to the board.

Called repair shops and they're looking to charge $200. I could buy a new TV for that much. If possible, I would like to repair this TV myself, or it will unfortunately be taken to the curb. Is anyone out there familiar with this make/model and problem? Any suggestions on how to repair this TV myself? From what I've read, the fix (replacing a resistor or cap) seems fairly easy and I don't mind giving it a shot.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by dgf : March 10th 05 at 04:46 AM
Leonard Caillouet

Call more shops or have someone do a real estimate. Lots of shops will
guestimate high by phone because they don't want people bitching when the
actual cost to repair turns out to be high on a dog. The most common
problem would be an open resistor, though you could certainly have a more
expensive failure. Typical charges to diagnose and replace an open resistor
in my shop would be about $87 + tax, with a $30 estimate charge up front
that applies to the repair cost. Other markets may be different.

Leonard

--
dgf

dgf wrote:
[...]

designation seems relative to the board.(snip)

sounds like the g1 bias is missing, almost certainly an open resistor.I
dont know that chassis you have, but in the cp110 I recently repaired
with this symptom, it was r3445 on crt pcb (470 ohm).

-ben

Rick Cantellya

I recall fixing a Phillips/Magnavox 27" recently and can't remember if this
was the exact failure mode. However, you have some clues here. With a full
gray raster, you seem to have functional vertical and horizontal sweep
stages. That would seem to indicate a problem in the front end circuits,
like the tuner complex and video processing, etc. You did not mention if the
audio was functioning. My guess is that perhaps a scan derived secondary
voltage is excessively loaded (one which powers the front end ckts) and the
over current protection circuit is shutting the set down, as it should.

The set I repaired had an intermittent failure which wound up being a
fractured solder connection on a 1 or 2 watt size resistor on the main
board.

Just some food for thought. Good luck.

"dgf" wrote in message

[...]

dgf dgf is offline
Junior Member

Thanks all for the input so far. Hopefully will be able to get this set working soon.

Yes, the TV does have perfect sound for the few seconds it remains on.

I have a Philips Magnavox TV that's on the outs.
Model #: 25TS54 C122
Chassis: 25B800-7652

Thanks for any help.

--