vee dub

Default Dodgy RCA connectors need replacing.

Hi,
the RCA input ports on the back of my Sony stereo a faulty. The right
port seems fine but I get no audio out of the left when playing
through these connectors. I can get sound if I push the left RCA cable
around a bit. However as soon as I let go the sound disappears again.
It seems to be a connectivity issue. My question is, would resolving
this issue be best done by replacing the current RCA ports and
soldering in a new set. I am not experienced at electrical repairs but
thought if these where generic parts it would not be too difficult to
do the soldering if this was all that was required. Can anyone give me
any ideas if I am thinking along the correct lines?
Thanks
Travis Jordan

vee dub wrote:
Hi,
the RCA input ports on the back of my Sony stereo a faulty. The right
port seems fine but I get no audio out of the left when playing
through these connectors. I can get sound if I push the left RCA cable
around a bit. However as soon as I let go the sound disappears again.

Assuming your diagnosis is correct and that the problem isn't a bad
connection from the RCA jack to the circuit board on the left
channel....

Try a new cable (perhaps with a bit longer center conductor) first.
Also you can solder a 'bead' of solder on the male center conductor to
make the diameter of the conductor a bit larger. Both of these
solutions are faster, cheaper, and just as long lasting as changing out
the RCA jacks.

Mikey

vee dub wrote:

Hi,
the RCA input ports on the back of my Sony stereo a faulty. The right
port seems fine but I get no audio out of the left when playing
through these connectors. I can get sound if I push the left RCA cable
around a bit. However as soon as I let go the sound disappears again.
It seems to be a connectivity issue. My question is, would resolving
this issue be best done by replacing the current RCA ports and
soldering in a new set. I am not experienced at electrical repairs but
thought if these where generic parts it would not be too difficult to
do the soldering if this was all that was required. Can anyone give me
any ideas if I am thinking along the correct lines?
Thanks

It is likely a cracked solder joint between the RCA connector and the
circuit board. An easy repair if you can figure out how to disassemble
and reassemble the unit and you have some soldering skills.

jakdedert

Mikey wrote:
vee dub wrote:

[...]

Almost certainly (above) correct. Check carefully...resolder if
necessary...actually, resolder anyway. There could be a dodgy joint that
escapes visual inspection.

If that doesn't fix it, take a pair of needle nose pliers and *CAREFULLY*,
from the back side of the RCA connectors, pinch the center part of the jack
closed slightly. (You'll understand what I mean when you inspect the jack.)
Go easy; and check that the plug will still go into the connector. That
absolutely will fix the problem. There's hardly ever a need to actually
replace the jacks unless something is physically broken.

jak

Advise on replacing shower pump AlanC UK diy 3 October 10th 05 02:06 PM
Mystery Solitron coaxial connectors Jim Adney Electronics Repair 2 February 20th 05 04:29 PM
green stuff coming out of copper piping connectors? [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 15th 05 08:45 PM
Replacing taps. Mary Pegg UK diy 7 July 3rd 04 01:42 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM