Mike Porter

Default Toshiba TP50F60 blackout

Hi all,

I'm having problems with this set in that when I turn it on, all I get is the "on/off" LED continually blinking. There's no video nor audio coming from the set. I've also tried replacing the fuses to no avail. I'm thinking it could be a power supply failure?

Any ideas as to what may be the culprit?

Thanks!

Jerry G.

When posting to news groups, please post in the "text" format only.

Going by your description, the flyback is probably defective. Along with it,
it is good practice to change the horizontal output transistor, locate the
cause of the failure which is usually high ESR caps in the area, or may be
some other faulty components, and then check the power supply for damage.

I would suggest you give the set out to a service center that is familiar
with your model of set, to have it properly serviced. This type of repair is
not something you will be able to do at home, unless you are properly
trained, and skilled in TV service.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Mike Porter" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm having problems with this set in that when I turn it on, all I get is
the "on/off" LED continually blinking. There's no video nor audio coming
from the set. I've also tried replacing the fuses to no avail. I'm
thinking it could be a power supply failure?

Any ideas as to what may be the culprit?

Thanks!

Leonard Caillouet

What makes you think it is a flyback? Based on the limited info we don't
even know if the fuses are blowing or not. Could just be the typical bad
solder connections on these sets.

Leonard

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Jerry G.

From past experience on these sets, this symptom is usually attributed to a
failed flyback, and sometimes other support components. Naturally the things
should be properly checked out. I used the word, "probably" in my
suggestion, not the word, "definitely".

--

Jerry G.
======

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Mike Porter

Leonard

I have replaced the fuses to no avail. I think I'll take Jerry's suggestion
and take it to the shop.

Thanks for the input

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote

What makes you think it is a flyback? Based on the limited info we don't
even know if the fuses are blowing or not. Could just be the typical bad
solder connections on these sets.

Leonard

"Jerry G." wrote

Going by your description, the flyback is probably defective.

"Mike Porter" wrote

Hi all,

I'm having problems with this set in that when I turn it on, all I get is
the "on/off" LED continually blinking. There's no video nor audio coming
from the set. I've also tried replacing the fuses to no avail. I'm
thinking it could be a power supply failure?

Any ideas as to what may be the culprit?

Leonard Caillouet

I just find it curious. I have repaired quite a few of these sets and found
lots of bad solder joints and bad convergence outputs, but never had to
replace a flyback in one of these.

Leonard

From past experience on these sets, this symptom is usually attributed to

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Tv has gone into protect mode. There are approximately 16 different
protect circuits in that set monitoring several different areas. If a
problem is detected in any of those areas, you get a red blinking
light. Time for some real troubleshooting.

Mike Porter

Leonard

7A, 3.15A, and 5A fuses have been replaced

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote

Are the fuses blowing? Which fuses?

Mike Porter

Leonard

I hope that's the case...What would be a ROM cost to pay to repair the unit?

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote

I just find it curious. I have repaired quite a few of these sets and
found
lots of bad solder joints and bad convergence outputs, but never had to
replace a flyback in one of these.

Leonard

"Jerry G." wrote

From past experience on these sets, this symptom is usually attributed to
a failed flyback, and sometimes other support components.

Mike Porter

Leonard

I hope that's the case...What would be a ROM cost to pay to repair the unit?

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote

I just find it curious. I have repaired quite a few of these sets and
found
lots of bad solder joints and bad convergence outputs, but never had to
replace a flyback in one of these.

Leonard

"Jerry G." wrote

From past experience on these sets, this symptom is usually attributed to
a failed flyback, and sometimes other support components.

Depends on your definition of 'big bucks'.

Given the model number, in order of common failures:
1. Convergence output. Causes protect shutdown. Less than $200 total
typical.
2. 200LVP line protect, a little 180K 1/8w resistor opens up. Less than
$200 total typical.
3. Shorted yoke and possibly cracked neck on picture tube due to yoke,
expensive indeed. $300 in parts alone. Plus the labor, around $150.

These do not include any trip/gas charge if you have the tech come to
the door.