Default An Oscilloscope and a Cell Tower Walk Into a Shop...

Here's the situation: Sometime last year, we got a scope after some
begging by a tech. He then said that the cell tower out back (somewhere
between 50-100 feet away) was causing interference. He quit, and the
other 'tech' working in the shop was fired. Now that I'm in there, the
'boss' wants the scope out and working, but all I hear is, "Oh, that
doesn't work" from a couple of people.

Now, I have very little experience with scopes, and think that possibly
this is a grounding problem, or of course, there is a need for
shielding, or knocking down the tower itself. The scope is used, and
probably around 20 years old, and looks like this:
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu...pes/t475_c.gif
, the Tektronix 475.

Any suggestions on shielding the interference, or testing to make sure
of the existence of local interference?

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the situation: Sometime last year, we got a scope after some
begging by a tech. He then said that the cell tower out back (somewhere
between 50-100 feet away) was causing interference. He quit, and the
other 'tech' working in the shop was fired. Now that I'm in there, the
'boss' wants the scope out and working, but all I hear is, "Oh, that
doesn't work" from a couple of people.

Now, I have very little experience with scopes, and think that possibly
this is a grounding problem, or of course, there is a need for
shielding, or knocking down the tower itself. The scope is used, and
probably around 20 years old, and looks like this:

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu...pes/t475_c.gif
, the Tektronix 475.

Any suggestions on shielding the interference, or testing to make sure
of the existence of local interference?

Your post is hard to follow, but I would check the grounding very thoroughly
and also make sure the case is missing no screws. What sort of interference?
What happens if you take the scope elsewhere?

Nobody knows what sort of interference, except for the guys that no
longer work there.

I'll try clearing it up:

Tektronix 475(?), sitting on plywood, ontop of a metal table.
Scope is plugged into a power strip that is shared by another power
strip, a computer, monitor, and hub. That power strip gets it's power
from another strip (I believe they are all NCR surge protectors). These
strips plug into the same quadplex outlet, which is full.
The table is not grounded, and sets on a concrete floor.
The shop has walls made of cinder blocks, and the roof is a fairly
plain metal type, with steel lattice work.
The cell tower is on the same property, about 100 feet away, and I
suppose 200ft tall, but I don't know for sure.

Tomorrow, if I'm not too busy, I'll go over the scope with a grounded
fine tooth comb.

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

But what's the interference look like?

Do take the scope off-site and see if it clears up.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Don't know..., yet. We just put it back, out from under the table late
Friday, with nothing to probe. *snicker. But, I have a gut feeling that
the interference will be minimal, and the tech that begged for the
scope never knew what he was doing.

Comes down to this, the EMI from the tower is well outside the range of
the scope's bandwidth. Therefore one of two things could be happening.

One could be that it is picking it up through the mains ground
terminal. Even if seperate, the tower could be causing a ground
gradient. You could isolate the ground terminal and see if this helps.
If so, all you need is a resistor with some Zeners to cure it. You
can't leave the scope floated, it may cause a breach between hot and
cold grounds.

Another possibility is that it's the probe. Do you get the interference
when you switch the channel off, or by using the REF on the probe ?

I sure hope you ain't trying to use a seperate ground for the DUT, if
so this is the problem. That hasn't worked in decades. YOU MUST use the
ground provided near the tip of the probe, the one that usually
connects with a fork type thingy (luv those technical terms).

You can't use a ground connected to a binding post on the scope unless
you are dealing with a large signal amplitude. If you go below 5V/Div
use the proper ground. The one at the tip.

Also, just what type of probe are you using ?

JURB

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Nobody knows what sort of interference, except for the guys that no
longer work there.

Tomorrow, if I'm not too busy, I'll go over the scope with a grounded
fine tooth comb.

I'd assume it's OK until you see different. Then I'd try using it off site.

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the situation: Sometime last year, we got a scope after some
begging by a tech. He then said that the cell tower out back (somewhere
between 50-100 feet away) was causing interference. He quit, and the
other 'tech' working in the shop was fired. Now that I'm in there, the
'boss' wants the scope out and working, but all I hear is, "Oh, that
doesn't work" from a couple of people.

Now, I have very little experience with scopes, and think that possibly
this is a grounding problem, or of course, there is a need for
shielding, or knocking down the tower itself. The scope is used, and
probably around 20 years old, and looks like this:

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu...pes/t475_c.gif
, the Tektronix 475.

Any suggestions on shielding the interference, or testing to make sure
of the existence of local interference?

What are the symptoms and what are you trying to test with the scope? I've
never had a problem with outside interference.

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't know..., yet. We just put it back, out from under the table late
Friday, with nothing to probe. *snicker. But, I have a gut feeling that
the interference will be minimal, and the tech that begged for the
scope never knew what he was doing.

As others have suggested, take the thing home and see if it works there.

The inexperienced seem to think an oscilloscope is a magical tool that will
automatically show you what's wrong with something, while in reality it'll
show you what's there but you still have to know what *should* be there for
it to be of any use. I suspect either the "tech" simply didn't know how to
properly use the scope, or there's a fault in the scope itself. Those old
Tek scopes are wonderful but they are getting a bit old, dried up filter
caps in the power supply are not uncommon.

Jim Adney

On 20 Feb 2005 18:31:05 -0800 wrote:

Now, I have very little experience with scopes, and think that possibly
this is a grounding problem, or of course, there is a need for
shielding, or knocking down the tower itself. The scope is used, and
probably around 20 years old, and looks like this:
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu...pes/t475_c.gif
, the Tektronix 475.

Any suggestions on shielding the interference, or testing to make sure
of the existence of local interference?

That's a very nice scope from 30 years ago. It is a 200 MHz scope and
may well work perfectly, or may have some problems related to age.
It's quite possible that it can pick up some "off the air" noise
sufficient to affect it at it's most sensitive ranges, but otherwise
it should be fine. I don't think there is anything you can do to
improve the scope itself, but putting it in a metal building would
help a lot.

Try it, and let us know exactly what you actually observe.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Travis Jordan

NSM wrote:
I'd assume it's OK until you see different. Then I'd try using it off
site.

In any case, unless the cell site has severe downtilt antennas (not very
likely if it is 200' tall) the RF emitted from the cell site is going to
be well above your shop.

Jim Yanik

"NSM" wrote in news6cSd.7056$9a3.4552@edtnps91:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the situation: Sometime last year, we got a scope after some
begging by a tech. He then said that the cell tower out back
(somewhere between 50-100 feet away) was causing interference. He
quit, and the other 'tech' working in the shop was fired. Now that
I'm in there, the 'boss' wants the scope out and working, but all I
hear is, "Oh, that doesn't work" from a couple of people.

Now, I have very little experience with scopes, and think that
possibly this is a grounding problem, or of course, there is a need
for shielding, or knocking down the tower itself. The scope is used,
and probably around 20 years old, and looks like this:

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu...cs/Notes/week1
/oscilloscopes/t475_c.gif
, the Tektronix 475.

Any suggestions on shielding the interference, or testing to make
sure of the existence of local interference?

Borrow and try another O'scope.

Your post is hard to follow, but I would check the grounding very
thoroughly and also make sure the case is missing no screws. What sort
of interference? What happens if you take the scope elsewhere?

Make sure inside,none of the PCBs are missing screws,or have them loose.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik

Jim Adney wrote in
:

[...]

RCA in Indianapolis used to have Faraday mesh cages for their engineers to
work on projects.They now are Thomson-CSF,I believe.The cages are probably
still there,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
NSM

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .

RCA in Indianapolis used to have Faraday mesh cages for their engineers to
work on projects.They now are Thomson-CSF,I believe.The cages are probably
still there,too.

Wouldn't it give you an odd feeling - being kept in a cage? Add bananas and
what have you got G?

Jim Yanik

"NSM" wrote in news:ENuSd.13569$0h.4090@clgrps13:

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .

RCA in Indianapolis used to have Faraday mesh cages for their
engineers to work on projects.They now are Thomson-CSF,I believe.The
cages are probably still there,too.

Wouldn't it give you an odd feeling - being kept in a cage? Add
bananas and what have you got G?

I suspect their pay was good,more than banannas. 8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Taking it home would be a bad idea..., the guy that was fired had taken
something home.

If I can find something to test it with, I'll certainly let you guys
know what happens.

Just to clarify, it's a Tek 465. Short day for me, all I could do was
check the outside case. I noticed it had some warranty stickers on it,
so perhaps it came straight from a repair shop.

I found a manual he http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/ . I'll spend my
paid time looking it over.

And as for what we're going to do with it, I really don't know. The
'shop' is in the business of reselling used equipment, and I figure in
100 years, we'll need to go through the piles of broken/bad terminals
and printers, find what is really wrong with them, and fix them.

Jim Adney

On 21 Feb 2005 17:23:53 GMT Jim Yanik . wrote:

RCA in Indianapolis used to have Faraday mesh cages for their engineers to
work on projects.They now are Thomson-CSF,I believe.The cages are probably
still there,too.

I bought a used 465B (100 Mhz) scope quite a few years ago. I had it
shipped to me at work and checked it out quickly when it came in and
everything looked fine.

When I took it home and tried it again that night I was surprised to
find that there was noticable noise on its most sensitive settings.
This bugged me for a few days until I just happened to notice that the
noise seemed to be synced to the radio station I was listening to.
Turning off the radio did not help, but taking the scope back to work,
which happened to be in a metal building, eliminated the problem.

The scope was fine, my environment was just noisy. ;-)

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Taking it home would be a bad idea..., the guy that was fired had taken
something home.

I assume you can arrange to sign it out. BTW, NOTHING should leave the shop
without being signed out. You'd be amazed how much stuff I have seen vanish
from different places over the years because no-one could remember who the
hell had borrowed it.

If I can find something to test it with, I'll certainly let you guys
know what happens.

Sure thing.

mike

Here's the situation: Sometime last year, we got a scope after some
begging by a tech. He then said that the cell tower out back (somewhere
between 50-100 feet away) was causing interference. He quit, and the
other 'tech' working in the shop was fired. Now that I'm in there, the
'boss' wants the scope out and working, but all I hear is, "Oh, that
doesn't work" from a couple of people.

Now, I have very little experience with scopes, and think that possibly
this is a grounding problem, or of course, there is a need for
shielding, or knocking down the tower itself. The scope is used, and
probably around 20 years old, and looks like this:
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu...pes/t475_c.gif
, the Tektronix 475.

Any suggestions on shielding the interference, or testing to make sure
of the existence of local interference?

Didn't see any mention of the MAGNITUDE of the interference.

I'd been using 50 MHz scopes for decades. Got a 500MHz one and started
seeing low level noise. Punch the FFT button and I can see every FM and
TV station for miles around. It's coming in the probe. Hooking the
ground clip to the tip doesn't help. Shorting the tip directly to the
tip ground fixes the problem. Ain't nothing to be done.
If your probe is broken, the problem can/will be much worse.

The cell tower may not have anything to do with what you're seeing.
There may be other stuff besides cellphones on the tower.
I'd borrow a spectrum analyzer.
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Jim Adney

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:35:57 GMT "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Jim Adney" wrote in message

That's a very popular 100 MHz scope made between 1970 and 1780. They
were and still are great instruments. This was probably the most
popular scope ever made by Tektronix, until it was replaced in '80 by
the 465B.

Wow, 1780, I bet they were *really* great instruments for the time

Yeah, sorry. I didn't notice that typo until I saw it posted here....

Seriously though, I have a 465B and it's a wonderful scope, haven't used
anything modern yet I'd trade it for though I have been wishing I had one of
those 4 channel DSO's to augment it.

I have a 465B, also, and I completely agree with you. It's an
exceptionally well engineered and bioengineered scope and I love mine.
OTOH, I'm actually starting to like the DSO I have at work. It
certainly has some annoying quirks, but once you learn how you are
supposed to use it, it works pretty well.

I'd still have to say that I'd rather it worked just like my 465B, but
with the DSO size.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA