Mark Witczak

Default Wireless Heart Rate Monitor

Hi,

Does anyone have or is familiar with designing/building a receiver for
the Polar Heart Rate Monitor transmitter?

Thanks,
Mark

Dan Major

Mark Witczak wrote in news:nCwQd.36312$Vg3.2296
@lakeread05:

Hi,

Does anyone have or is familiar with designing/building a receiver for
the Polar Heart Rate Monitor transmitter?

Thanks,
Mark

First, Polar makes a small stand-alone receiver unit for their
transmitters. The transmitters output a "burst" at 5KHz for each qrs
detected. At this frequency, you don't use a conventional antenna, but
rather a resonance-tuned coupling coil. The range is *very* limited (less
than 2 meters) and is prone to interference. I gave up on the Polar stuff
and made my own system using off-the-shelf RF modules at 413MHz.
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:50:42 GMT, the renowned "Thomas Magma"
wrote:

Are you talking MICS (Medical Implant Communications Service)?

Polar is (Swiss) a manufacturer of wris****ch-Heart Rate Monitors
(HRM) that are used by people working out. They have a separate
transmitter that straps around your chest, and a receiver in the
wris****ch. They're a consumer product, albeit a niche one. Their
manuals are a bit.. opaque.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
JMK

jan piste kronlund at tuubi1 piste net
Please notice my new address!
Osoitteeni on muuttunut, oikea on yllä.
"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have or is familiar with designing/building a receiver for
the Polar Heart Rate Monitor transmitter?

Thanks,
Mark

Just a little correction, Polar is Finnish company www.polar.fi ;-)

Jan

Fred Bloggs

wrote:

Are you talking MICS (Medical Implant Communications Service)?

Polar is (Swiss) a manufacturer of wris****ch-Heart Rate Monitors
(HRM) that are used by people working out. They have a separate
transmitter that straps around your chest, and a receiver in the
wris****ch. They're a consumer product, albeit a niche one. Their
manuals are a bit.. opaque.

The battery in the wrist watch is a consumer changeout, but the
transmitter must be returned to the service center when the battery
dies- every two-three years or so- it is a sealed unit.

Dave

Fred Bloggs wrote in news:421339E8.3050102
@nospam.com:

wrote:

Are you talking MICS (Medical Implant Communications Service)?

Polar is (Swiss) a manufacturer of wris****ch-Heart Rate Monitors
(HRM) that are used by people working out. They have a separate
transmitter that straps around your chest, and a receiver in the
wris****ch. They're a consumer product, albeit a niche one. Their
manuals are a bit.. opaque.

The battery in the wrist watch is a consumer changeout, but the
transmitter must be returned to the service center when the battery
dies- every two-three years or so- it is a sealed unit.

I'd like to see a consumer of a S410 change the battery. It is a bitch
and is a testament to cheap ****/unobtainable customer service.

Polar is cheap crap, with .009mm AL metal type battery cage and soft
plastic, coupled with nessicity for complete dissasembly - separation of
LCD panel from PCB! Short battery life.

I would have paid hundreds of dollars for the 6 month battery life of
this POS, if I didn't have the nuts to change it myself 4 times. In two
years. The plastic tabs that hold the battery are wearing out. Short
battery life + expensive HRM + needing to line up the 20+ graphite pads
on the display to the PCB = **** you polar.

A $12 Chinese Timex is a bargain (battery changing wise) compared to the
this abomination.

Shop around.

Venting, thanks!

Dave
Rick Moll

Mark Witczak wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have or is familiar with designing/building a receiver for
the Polar Heart Rate Monitor transmitter?

Thanks,
Mark

You might find this helpful:

http://rick.mollprojects.com/hrm/index.html

I'm sure the design could be improved, but it's worked for me; and at
least a few others have built working copies.

Rick Moll