Stuff

Default Toaster oven hints?

Brand : Philips
Model: KB-9000

Hello all,
This toaster oven is about ten years old. It was not reaching
temperature so I replaced the mechanical thermostat with the proper
replacement part from Philips. The old thermostat had totally worn
away contacts. I figured this altered the travel of the bimetallic
strip. There is no adjustment for this.
The new thermostat chatters a lot. When the bimetallic strip heats up,
the contact doesn't make a clean break, and it doesn't do a clean
make. It also doesn't seem to be linear, either the oven is too cool,
or too hot. There is a lot of sparking in the thermostat.
What can be the problem? The heat path seems fine, there is a
probe-type assembly that holds the thermostat by the core and I
cleaned it.
Is there some sort of secret to getting these mechanical thermostats
to work properly?

Worst case, what toaster ovens do you technically-minded folk
recommend? There seems to be more and more fully electronic controlled
ovens out there, are they debugged? Which brands are good? I'm not
interested in mechanically controlled ovens anymore, I get the feeling
the quality is not there anymore.
Thanks in advance.
NSM

"Stuff" wrote in message
om...

Worst case, what toaster ovens do you technically-minded folk
recommend? There seems to be more and more fully electronic controlled
ovens out there, are they debugged? Which brands are good? I'm not
interested in mechanically controlled ovens anymore, I get the feeling
the quality is not there anymore.
Thanks in advance.

I buy the $20 ones from Wal-Mart. Work fine, and if it craps out you toss
it. I've had bad luck with electronics for this sort of thing.

Jerry G.

The heating elements also have to be replaced, and this is why the
thermostat was most likely damaged.

Why would anyone want to put money in to fixing an old toaster oven???

You can buy a very good cheap one these days. Or, you can spend a few
dollars and get a very good one. They generally will last about 4 to 10
years, depending on the frequency of use, and how it is used.

These are all considered throw-away type appliances.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Stuff" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sam Goldwasser

Why do you think the heating elements need to be replaced?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.