Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Greg

Default What purpose does standby serve?

Hello,

I have become embroiled in a discussion with government
representatives from many agencies about whether or not items such as
TVs, VCRs, DVDs etc should be turned off to conserve electricity as
opposed to leaving them turned on in standby mode.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why standby mode is used?

Why should such appliances be left in standby mode instead of turned
off?

If the appliance is turned off instead of being put into standby mode,
will the appliance's life be shortened, by how much and why?

I have seen sums on the energy savings if appliances are turned off
instead of being placed in standby, but I suspect that there is more
than this than meets the eye.

Many, many thanks,
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
standby mode consumption vs longevity Sam Electronics Repair 3 October 23rd 04 05:09 AM
RCA TV CTC169 (BG5) F35750ST Wont come out of standby - Ticking sound when Power button is pressed Electronics Repair 0 September 25th 03 06:25 PM
more info RCA TV CTC169(BG5) Wont come out of standby - Ticking sound when Power button is pressed Electronics Repair 3 September 25th 03 01:29 AM
RCA TV CTC169(BG5) Wont come out of standby - Ticking sound when Power button is pressed Electronics Repair 1 September 22nd 03 03:05 AM