Synonymous

Default Toshiba CF27G30

Before starting, I should mention that I don't have the repair experience of
the other posters on this board. I've no hope of repairing this problem
myself, but I'd like to get a rough diagnosis and a handle on how expensive
it would be to have fixed. Please bear with me if I say something stupid.

Last night, my Toshiba CF27G30 started having periods of humming, popping
static pop onto the audio accompanied by white static-like horizontal bars
flickering about the picture. (The static sound is hard to describe -
it's not the soft, steady sound of continuous static, but like the split,
sputtering audio heard when you have bad reception or you're trying to plug
the cable connection into the TV but keep missing the mark by just a little
bit.) I at first thought it was just a cable problem (I live in Montana;
we've just had a snowstorm, and the temperature had reached -30 degrees F
the night this problem first appeared). When I tried to watch a VHS tape,
though, the same audio and video problems occurred. No problems appear,
though, when I flip the display from TV to Video mode to watch a DVD - the
TV works A-OK.

The problem occurs intermittently - it'll happen, go away for 2 minutes or
10 minutes or whatever, then pop up again. I've checked the connections,
and they *seem* tight. The TV didn't sustain any damage or blows or whatnot
before the problem started occurring - nothing out of the ordinary
happened (besides our -30 cold snap, of course, but that was outside). What
could be causing these new audio and video problems? (I should mention that
we probably won't be using this TV in 2 months (not because of any other
technical issue - it's a long story), and it'd be a pain in the neck to
get a new TV and use it for such a short period of time.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Jerry G.

Describing a fault is very superficial. Proper voltage readings to verify
the power supply is important to start with to verify if the supply is
working properly in the first place. Then verification of the scan circuits
is the next step, to start to verify where the fault is coming from. This
type of work will require the proper training in TV servicing, the service
manuals, and proper test tools to do the job.

This TV set employs voltages at current ratings that can be lethal, if not
properly handled. There are safety issues when working in TV equipment. I
would strongly suggest you call someone who is experienced at servicing
Toshiba TV products to first make an estimate for your problem. This will
allow you to make a proper intelligent decision if it is feasible to service
your set.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Synonymous" wrote in message
[...]

Synonymous

Look, I'm not trying to start a fight. I explicitly said in my message that
I was _not_ going to attempt the repair myself.

When you're seeking advice on a problem, it's *common* to describe symptoms.
I didn't think the very *act* to be utterly ridiculous, and there's no need
for you to get offended by it.

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

BWL

Just by the description, going by your not having problems with DVD input, I'd
say the problem is in the tuner, or one of the voltages going to it is
intermittant. If you have a VCR, you could use it for the tuner going in via
the video input. Free fix.
Art

Good suggestion, if the symptoms follow the VCR Tuner then you know it is
signal related (CATV Source). However if the VCR Tuner receives the material
and passes it into the TV via the Audio/Video inputs on the back of the set,
without the symptoms, then you can be assured you probably have a tuner
related problem in the TV.