Default Toshiba TV - Model 20AF44. Help Requested

Hello everyone,

Recently I bought the TV model listed in the subject line. I am having
two problems.

The first is that I managed to mess up the color settings under the
service menu. What are the default factory settings?

The second is the Vertical Scan Modulator that I have heard alot about.
How do I disable this "feature"?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rad Ranger

Leonard Caillouet

I think you mean Velocity Scan Modulation, and you have likely heard a very
paranoid perspective on it. It is used for a couple of reasons. One is to
enhance definition of edges in the image and the other is to affect focus
improvements at the sides of the CRT to account for the aspherical scanning
radius of the flatter CRTs. On a set this cheap, if it has is it is likely
the latter and will likely improve the pix rather than over-enhance it.

As for the service menu settings, there are no magic settings for all sets.
Some settings have fixed values for a particular model. Many have to be
aligned for the individual set according to procedures in the service manual
or that an experienced tech would already know. It is unlikely that the
service manual will tell you everything you need to know, but you can try if
you can find it.

I would speak to any local servicers that you might have developed a
relationship with and see if they will make you a copy of the manual or the
relevant pages, or give you a copy of the .pdf file. You can also search a
number of sites that might have it online if no one here can or will send it
to you.

Leonard

oups.com...