Default Philips 27" 27RF50S - no picture, smoked from back - it's toast, yes?

Sheesh. Weirdest thing just happened on a 2 year old Philips
(RealFLat 27RF50S). Was working. Left room. Come back 5 minutes
later and it's turned off. Attempted power-up. Made sound like it was
trying to cycle up - a clicking, maybe a couple times a second. Tried
changing the input selector and on a couple tries got very faint audio
but no picture. Turned it off and then a few sparks / flashes / faint
pops from inside the cabinet followed by some wisps of smoke coming out
of the cabinet.

I'm going to take a flyer here and assume that odds are enough is fried
in the thing I shouldn't even bother paying the repair estimate charge.
Realize it's not much to go on, but any thoughts?

NSM

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Sheesh. Weirdest thing just happened on a 2 year old Philips
| (RealFLat 27RF50S). Was working. Left room. Come back 5 minutes
| later and it's turned off. Attempted power-up. Made sound like it was
| trying to cycle up - a clicking, maybe a couple times a second. Tried
| changing the input selector and on a couple tries got very faint audio
| but no picture. Turned it off and then a few sparks / flashes / faint
| pops from inside the cabinet followed by some wisps of smoke coming out
| of the cabinet.
|
| I'm going to take a flyer here and assume that odds are enough is fried
| in the thing I shouldn't even bother paying the repair estimate charge.
| Realize it's not much to go on, but any thoughts?

Makes it easy to fix. Follow the smoke.

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sheesh. Weirdest thing just happened on a 2 year old Philips
(RealFLat 27RF50S). Was working. Left room. Come back 5 minutes
later and it's turned off. Attempted power-up. Made sound like it was
trying to cycle up - a clicking, maybe a couple times a second. Tried
changing the input selector and on a couple tries got very faint audio
but no picture. Turned it off and then a few sparks / flashes / faint
pops from inside the cabinet followed by some wisps of smoke coming out
of the cabinet.

I'm going to take a flyer here and assume that odds are enough is fried
in the thing I shouldn't even bother paying the repair estimate charge.
Realize it's not much to go on, but any thoughts?

Take it in for an estimate, believe it or not that sort of failure is
usually pretty simple to repair, makes it obvious what area the problem is
in by simply looking at it. If I had to guess I'd say the flyback
transformer (LOPT) is shot. It's a less than 2 year old set, I'd be shocked
if it's not worthwhile to repair.