Karol30

Default RISC Microprocessor...

Hello all,

One of my friends has an arcade jamma board which he dropped and damaged the
microprocessor. The part is labeled ORION IDT 79R4600-100MS. Is it possible if
I purchase a new one it will work? I am unsure how they work, do they get
programmed with sets of instructions or are they like PC processors where you
can swap a dead one with a new one? I am experienced in soldering these type of
SMT components so soldering will be no problem.

My search for this part has not been an easy one either. Any reccomendations of
sites to try? Here is a list of what i've tried searching.

www.arrow.com
www.avnet.com
www.mouser.com
www.digikey.com
www.future-active.com
www.alliedelec.com

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! TIA!!!!
James Sweet

"Karol30" wrote in message
[...]

Can you find a datasheet from the manufacture? Are you sure the part is
damaged beyond repair? Often if a corner breaks off you can still do some
careful surgury.

James Sweet

"Karol30" wrote in message
Can you find a datasheet from the manufacture? Are you sure the part is
damaged beyond repair? Often if a corner breaks off you can still do some
careful surgury.

I was able to find this data sheet for it
http://users.tastensuppe.de/~gerhard...00_Prod_OV.pdf.

I was going to attempt to repair it when I return to work next year where

all
of my tools are. The extent of the damage is 12 pins were pushed off of

their
pads and are now sitting directly next to the IC itself. I have a feeling

when
i try to straighten the legs out they will break since they are so small

pitch.
Most places I find by google want me to purchase a minimum of $500.

Thanks for your help and suggestion!

Do a google search on IC pin repair, chances are if they break off you can
still botch it up well enough to get it working. Could also see if any other
games use this same chip, lots of times there's a real dud game that has the
part you need, or you could find a dead board with a good CPU.

Karol30

here is an image of the actual damage, ouch!

http://members.aol.com/karol30/damage.jpg
NSM

"Karol30" wrote in message
| here is an image of the actual damage, ouch!
|
| http://members.aol.com/karol30/damage.jpg

Are any of the pins broken off of the chip?

James Sweet

"Karol30" wrote in message
here is an image of the actual damage, ouch!

http://members.aol.com/karol30/damage.jpg

Doesn't look too bad, you may be able to repair it with a dental pic and
some careful soldering. Replacing it wouldn't be much easier without a hot
air rework station.

Daremo

You might also try posting to rec.games.video.arcade or
rec.games.video.arcade.collecting or rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace as
there are people there who often do repairs on boards, or will sell them
with trade in.

Daremo

"Karol30" wrote in message
Luckily no pins broke off, and no pads came off. I will attempt to

straighten
the pins out and hopefully none of them break. soldering them is no

problem.
But this will have to wait until Tuesday when I return to work so I can

use all
of the proper tools.

Thanks