Default Xbox power supply ?

I am experiencing power supply problems ( not fuse ) . Is it worth
fixing - how to troubleshoot . I have seen those drop in psus on the
web put they are kind of pricey . Can I simply bypass the power supply
and hook up on of the many spare ATX power supplies I have accumulated
? Your help is appreciated .

Hmm,
Here's a replacement I just happened to stumble upon at All
Electronics:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-96&type=store
Is $20 too pricey? Dunno if it's the right one for your box. Maybe you
want the experience?

Richard

Jerry G.

The power supply has to properly match to your unit. If you are in to
re-engineering a power supply, you have a project to do. If you make an
error on how you are going to match it to the X-Box, you will also be
shopping for a new X-Box as well.

As for these power supplies, they are not considered a serviceable item.
There is no service support, or spare parts available for them. These units
are replaced as needed. If you are in to troubleshooting and have the tools
and experience to do so, you can try to determine the defective parts. If
they are generic types that are required, then you can order them from any
of the electronics parts suppliers.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am experiencing power supply problems ( not fuse ) . Is it worth
fixing - how to troubleshoot . I have seen those drop in psus on the
web put they are kind of pricey . Can I simply bypass the power supply
and hook up on of the many spare ATX power supplies I have accumulated
? Your help is appreciated .

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am experiencing power supply problems ( not fuse ) . Is it worth
fixing - how to troubleshoot . I have seen those drop in psus on the
web put they are kind of pricey . Can I simply bypass the power supply
and hook up on of the many spare ATX power supplies I have accumulated
? Your help is appreciated .

What's wrong with it? Either troubleshoot it properly if you have the tools
and experience, or buy a replacement, any other approach is likely to fry
the whole Xbox, is that cheaper than buying a new PSU?

LASERandDVDfan

I am experiencing power supply problems ( not fuse ) . Is it worth
fixing - how to troubleshoot .

Did you diagnose it to determine whether or not it was the power supply?

It could be a bad power button on the front panel. Simple test to determine
this is to press the disc eject button, the box should turn on and eject the
drawer. Of course, if the power switch is bad you can't turn it off properly
but unplugging it while on shouldn't hurt it just so long as the hard disk is
sitting idle when you do it.

I have seen those drop in psus on the
web put they are kind of pricey . Can I simply bypass the power supply
and hook up on of the many spare ATX power supplies I have accumulated
? Your help is appreciated .

It's possble, but not recommended. It's safer to go with a power supply
designed for your Box, and you have to make sure you get the right power supply
for your version of X-Box. Versions 1.0 and 1.1 use what looks like a single
piece AT power connection while all newer versions look like they use an ATX
type connector.

As for expense, try looking for replacement X-Box power supplies on eBay. If
you can't get one that way, just bite the bullet and buy a proper replacement
power supply. It will still be cheaper to do that than buy a whole new X-Box.
- Reinhart

t.hoehler

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar problem - situation. My laptop would run from a wall wart
supply, or battery, but had no 12 volt input to connect it to a car cigar
lighter socket. A helpful poster on this NG suggested a simple and safe way
round this is to buy a cheapo 120 volt inverter, and plug the wall wart into
it and go. Works like a charm, and if some nasty thing comes thru the 12
volt supply, only the cheapo inverter gets fried. I could build a charger
cord for the laptop, but why waste the time and take the chance? Keep it
simple, and safe.
Tom

James Sweet

"t.hoehler" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not sure I see the similarity here...

t.hoehler

inverter gets fried. I could build a charger
cord for the laptop, but why waste the time and take the chance? Keep it
simple, and safe.
Tom

I'm not sure I see the similarity here...

I rambled a little there, but he was talking about kludging up a power

supply from an old pc, and I would be cobbling up some kind of adaptor for
my laptop, neither idea is smart or cost effective. One slipup and you've
screwed up expensive equip. Not worth the hassle or risk.
Tom

LASERandDVDfan

I had a similar problem - situation. My laptop would run from a wall wart
supply, or battery, but had no 12 volt input to connect it to a car cigar
lighter socket.

Except we aren't talking about using an inverter to turn 120 VAC into 12 volts
DC to run a cigarette lighter adapter on a laptop.

We are talking about a power supply in a game console that has multiple B+ at
12 VDC, 5 VDC, 3.3 VDC, and 3 VDC as well as multiple grounds which powers the
motherboard, hard drive, and USB interfaces. It happens to use a lot of
industry standard interconnects, but that still is no assurance of perfect
compatibility with parts not designed to be used with an X-Box.

I still recommend getting a proper replacement power supply if nothing else is
at fault in the original poster's X-Box. - Reinhart