Toby

Default toshiba parts help

Hello,
I have a toshiba TP48D50, 1994(?), great television, have not suffered
the electronic problems that I have just read about on this board.
However, with the years and 5 children the exterior plastic screen is
shot. Where can I find a new one? And can a reasonibly intelligent
guy like myself, replace it? I have tried several on-line part sites
with no luck. Thank you in advance for any help.
Toby

RonKZ650

Hello,
I have a toshiba TP48D50, 1994(?), great television, have not suffered
the electronic problems that I have just read about on this board.
However, with the years and 5 children the exterior plastic screen is
shot. Where can I find a new one? And can a reasonibly intelligent

Still avail from Toshiba part #23837407 lists for $177.74. Any Toshiba dist can
get it for you. It's in stock at Andrews 661-257-7700
It's easy to replace if you can get the front off the set. They are all
different how they are attached.
Alan Harriman

On 12 Dec 2004 06:29:12 -0800, "Toby" wrote:

Hello,
I have a toshiba TP48D50, 1994(?), great television, have not suffered
the electronic problems that I have just read about on this board.
However, with the years and 5 children the exterior plastic screen is
shot. Where can I find a new one? And can a reasonibly intelligent
guy like myself, replace it? I have tried several on-line part sites
with no luck. Thank you in advance for any help.
Toby

Go to www.tritronicsinc.com

From the home page, click on parts lookup, consumer/guest login. Enter the model
number, then the keyword "screen" There are two, or possibly three screen
layers. From front to back, the first is the outer protector screen, then the
lenticular screen and the innermost is the fresnel screen. Usually, just the
outermost screen needs replacement.

Replacement will require the removal of the front frame assembly. Generally, you
need to remove the speaker grill to access the screws along the bottom. Gently
lift the frame assembly up and away to remove. Best to have a helper. Lay the
frame down on a soft flat surface to remove the screens. (such as a bed sheet
spread out on your carpet) The actual screens are somewhat fragile, so handle
carefully. It's extremely important to match the new screens up properly. Look
for a small white sticker in one corner, and reassemble the new to match the
original. Otherwise, you could lose about 90 percent of your brightness.

This is also a good time to clean the lenses and mirror. Use a non-amonia,
anti-static glass cleaner and a soft cotton cloth. Tritronics sells a product
called "Screen Kleen" available in a 4 oz container with cloth, part number
SK-004, which I find works quite well.

Alan Harriman