Phillip Remaker

Default Collapsed Pincushion on KDS Visual Sensations VS-195a 19" (FCC ID EVOKD1911)

I have a 19" VGA monitor - KDS Visual Sensations VS-195a (Yes, I know
they are crap) which I am trying to save from the dumpster. FCC ID
EVOKD1911

Pincushion and H-size controls have no effect. The screen is only
covering 60% of the screen width and is pincushioned. From the repair
FAQ, I am directed to capacitors in the horizontal deflection circuit.

Changing resolution and refresh rate has no effect. All resolutions
display fine, except for the screen width/pincushion.

I have a cheap ESR meter (which has allowed me to readily fix 6 of 7
of the last failed monitors I have had!) which I am using to poke
around for failed electrolytics. I am looking at the Horizontal
Deflection section, and around the HOT. Nothing is obviously popped
or burned. There seem to be a lot of large non-electrolytic
capacitors in the circuit, which register an infinite ESR (Open) (Is
that normal?). Would you expect a bunch to go open circuit
simultaneously?

The schematic is available on the FCC website, but at a uselessly low
resolution 8-( I was wondering if anyone

1) Had any advice on where to look for pinchushion failures, other
than electrolytics. Would any of the big diodes cause that?

2) Had any specific experience on this unit or its KDS kin with a
similar issue.

3) Could confirm my suspicion that non-electrolytic capacitors cannot
be troubleshot with an ESR meter. At least not the Dick Smith
Electronics one.

Thanks for any help.