Gregory Attaway

Default Toshiba TV Picture shift

I just bought a Toshiba 32" stereo TV the weekend before last. The
model number is 32A14.

The past few days, I've noticed that the top 2" or so of the screen
warps or shifts to the left. It doesn't seem to happen all the time.
I really notice it when there is lot of movement on the screen, like
an action movie or something. If we're watching the news where there
is not much movement on the screen it doesn't happen as much.

I have it hooked up though our home theater system from the DVD and
Dish box. It doesn't matter what the source is, it still happens.

I am using SVHS cables between the components. My old RCA only had a
coax input, I'm kinda new to the new cabling format.

I'm hoping I can fix it myself, I really don't want to lug the 100+ lb
thing back to the store unless I have to.

Thanks for anyones help in this.
Sofie

Gregory:
Since the problem is apparent with ALL SOURCES then you have properly
narrowed it down to the television itself.
Because the television is NEW and under factory WARRANTY you would be best
advised to NOT screw around with it.
It is doubtful that there are any user controls or on-screen menus that will
FIX the symptoms.
Take it back where you bought it and get a replacement or even a different
model or brand..... AND take your DVD player with you to the store and play
a DVD on your replacement television ..... play a disk that the problem
easily shows up on.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Gregory Attaway" wrote in message
om...
I just bought a Toshiba 32" stereo TV the weekend before last. The
model number is 32A14.

The past few days, I've noticed that the top 2" or so of the screen
warps or shifts to the left. It doesn't seem to happen all the time.
I really notice it when there is lot of movement on the screen, like
an action movie or something. If we're watching the news where there
is not much movement on the screen it doesn't happen as much.

I have it hooked up though our home theater system from the DVD and
Dish box. It doesn't matter what the source is, it still happens.

I am using SVHS cables between the components. My old RCA only had a
coax input, I'm kinda new to the new cabling format.

I'm hoping I can fix it myself, I really don't want to lug the 100+ lb
thing back to the store unless I have to.

Thanks for anyones help in this.

Jerry G.

Since you determined that the set is at fault, you will have to call for
warranty service. Even if it was out of warranty these types of faults are
difficult to service on your own, less you have a lot of TV service
experience, and the proper set-up.

In the medium to low end sets, I have seen the pictures shift in size, warp,
or move position a little when the contrast settings were a bit high. This
was due to lower cost design in the high voltage regulation and stability of
the scan drives.

If you first want to check things out yourself, go to a dealer who has the
same series of set out on demo, it may be a good idea for you to compare
this to your set, so you will know if there is really a defect, or it may be
a design fault.

I would suggest for you to NOT go in to the cabinet of your set, and start
messing around with it.

--

Jerry G.
======

[...]

Gregory Attaway

Is it possible that it's the cable from the receiver to the TV? I did
find it laying around in an old box of cables that I had. Or
something like this would most likely be with the TV itself?

Oh, did I mention that my wife recycled the box and everything
already?

"Sofie" wrote in message ...
[...]

Gregory Attaway

Okay, I have replaced the TV and it is still happening.

I have switched the s-video cables with some higher quality cables.
Still happening. I then by passed the RCA surround sound system in
regards to the video and hooked the DVD player directly to the TV.
Picture is fine. No problems.

So I've come to the conclusion that in coming from the DVD player to
the surround sound to the TV is where my problem is. Everthing looks
fine on the outside when hooking things up. It just seems the
decoding or something is getting corrupted between the input and
output ports of the surround sound system.

This is the first time I've put the video signal through my surround
sound system. I've had the SS system for a couple years now, so the
warrenty is toast.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.