Ken G.

Default Do you bother repairing these anymore ?

VCR`s

I am finding it not much worth it anymore
Unless its just dirty or object ( kids ) removal .

NSM

"Ken G." wrote in message
| VCR`s
|
| I am finding it not much worth it anymore
| Unless its just dirty or object ( kids ) removal .

When you can buy a refurb stereo VHS for $50 it's hard to see the point (O
tempora, o mores). When I started I made a modest living fixing toasters,
kettles and clothes irons, et al, not to mention a flood of tube radios. Now
it's either not worth fixing or so complex only the factory can repair it,
and it seems they mostly junk returns.

I guess we're all going to wind up as 'Nerds on Site' etc.

Grunsat

As a hobby, I enjoy repairing early and mid 1980s VCRs. They were made well
and built to last. If they don't work, it's usually dried out belts. After a
good cleaning, they will work just as well as any $100 VCR on the market
today. I don't mess with the new cheap junk.

"Ken G." wrote in message
VCR`s

I am finding it not much worth it anymore
Unless its just dirty or object ( kids ) removal .

James Sweet

"Grunsat" wrote in message
As a hobby, I enjoy repairing early and mid 1980s VCRs. They were made

well
and built to last. If they don't work, it's usually dried out belts. After

good cleaning, they will work just as well as any $100 VCR on the market
today. I don't mess with the new cheap junk.

I used to, but these days I have trouble even getting $20 for a nice one.

someone

"Ken G." wrote in message
VCR`s

I am finding it not much worth it anymore
Unless its just dirty or object ( kids ) removal .

It's not worthwhile - everyone is changing over to DVD's.
Sears has a DVD player on sale for $30.

someone2

JURB6006

Let me put it this way, I haven't repaired a VCR in years, so if mine breaks I
might just have someone else do it.

This is a Sony SLV 920 which is one of the last of what I consider the good
ones. They lost face with me when they used Funai drives. Their slightly newer
deck, like in the SLV 940 isn't bad, but it still isn't the one like the R1000.
BTW, a quick way to tell the Funai deck in Sony is when you go into reverse
slow it jumps about 5 frames back. Apparently alot of them have a flaw that
causes this, or it's because it's a cheapo drive not designed for reverse
slomo.

Certain other decks are woth fixing, certain models of JVC, Mits, Panasonic.
There are also some really good multiple motor decks out there, if you get one
of those in good shape, keep it. I'm not talking about those stupid old
Hitachis, I'm talking decks with reel motoruS/U. New enough to be Hifi, 4
video heads and at least HQ.

The major problem is that these pretty much all use SMD electrolytics, which
will be the ultimate limit to their life.

I paid almost $500 for my 920, and I don't think I would take $500 for it now.
I would gladly pay someone good money to fix it as long as they're competent,
just like others pay me well to fix projection TVs.

Eventually I'll go totally DVD, I'l be forced to, I'm pretty sure the Sony is
going to be my last VCR. I'd even pay good money to get my Beta fixed, but I
might do it myself, I'm much more familiar with it than the 920.

It has been awhile though . . . . . .

JURB
LASERandDVDfan

BTW, a quick way to tell the Funai deck in Sony is when you go into reverse
slow it jumps about 5 frames back. Apparently alot of them have a flaw that
causes this, or it's because it's a cheapo drive not designed for reverse
slomo.

That's the first I've heard of Funai OEM being used for Sony.

All the newer Sonys I've worked on had all parts that weren't even close to
being identical to Funai platforms. - Reinhart
JURB6006

That's the first I've heard of Funai OEM being used for Sony.

I think they only did it for 2-3 years. Actually Funai was into another design
by then and the Sony branded ones used the previous mechanism. The one with
mostly black gears that was a real PITA to change the belt to the worm gear. It
had a Sony head and Sony electronics, but the mechanics were definitely Funai.

JURB
Ken G.

I also do as a hobby . One of our local tv stores gives me their trade
ins and declined repairs .

Have you seen inside the new Sony or Panasonic dvd - vcr combos ... they
are made by Orion .