Karl Saal

Default Mitsub. M1GA Bad Video

Hi, I have a Mit. M1GA (Only number I found on it) 39" big heavy TV on
the blink and a wife and kids who have lost faith in me. What I'm
getting appears to be an AGC type problem. After an amount of time
(2sec-2hrs- maybe thermal but it won't react to freeze or vibration)
it will start getting some faint Horiz. flickering then I loose the
picture and it goes to an inverted picture - very high contrast low
brightness and blooming color with random horiz. brightness flashing
through. Another clue is that when you change channels there will be a
buzz which sounds like it's coming from the picture tube. This buzz
often goes away on it's own when changing channels but sometimes the
only way to get rid of it is to restart the TV. I have read about all
the capacitor problems in Mit. stuff and lord knows I have found at
least 10 that looked like they are leaking dielectric. I have replaced
regulator IC705 (was getting hot and no heat sink-added one) Replaced
M51366SP (video/AGC) located near tuner and currently working around
IC201 Chroma. If anyone has seen this or better yet, if anyone has a
print that they could scan and post I would appreciate it. Even if you
could point me in a likely area it could help. I have replaced the
caps that physically look bad, but there are a whole boatload more
that look fine.TIA! Karl
Karl Saal

I've been reading all the posts about the PIP issue and looked around
and did find a couple of suspects on the PIP board. This set was mfg
in 1990 and must be an earlier PIP because it doesn't have the SMD
caps but it does have quite a few radial electrolytics. The PIP board
also has a triangular standoff board attached to it. I have found info
in the group about bypassing the PIP but I will need to check if the
fix applies to this model. The bypass should go on the VP connector 5+
11- w/47uf35v and 7,9 w/.01uf50v. Mine has two connectors so I hope
one is labled VP. Any help would be appreciated. Karl