Daryl

Default How do I open my remote control?

Hi all!

My One-for-all Topline 5 universal remote control is suffering from dirty
contacts. Easy to repair? You bet! I have a stumbling block though - I
can't get the thing open!

Can anybody offer any advice on how to open a One-for-all Topline 5 remote
control without breaking the thing?

Thanks,

Daz

---

Jerry G.

Under some of the labels, and or under the battery, there are probably some
screws. These are also snap fit, and you may have to break the case, or try
to wedge in a sharp blade to get at where it is snap fit. These are not made
to be serviceable, and this is why you are having such a hard time to open
it.

A common cause of failure are the conductive coatings on the rubber pads are
wearing out. If this is the case, you will need a new pad. Cleaning the
rubber contact pads will remove more of the conductive coating, thus
worsening the problem.

There is something called a remote control kit that is available to recoat
the pads. This kit is fairly expensive.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Daryl" wrote in message
Hi all!

My One-for-all Topline 5 universal remote control is suffering from dirty
contacts. Easy to repair? You bet! I have a stumbling block though - I
can't get the thing open!

Can anybody offer any advice on how to open a One-for-all Topline 5 remote
control without breaking the thing?

Thanks,

Daz

I have had considerable succes in painting the rubber pads with
conductive silver paint, mine was called "Leitsilber" (obtainable
from any electronics store). comes in a little bottle with a brush
attached to the lid.
Note this is a bit pricey (I think it cost about 8€ for a bottle not
as big as my little finger) but you need very little paint, just a
tiny dab per button, so the bottle lasts ages.
Ben
Jeff Wiseman

"Jerry G." wrote:

Under some of the labels, and or under the battery, there are probably some
screws. These are also snap fit, and you may have to break the case, or try
to wedge in a sharp blade to get at where it is snap fit. These are not made
to be serviceable, and this is why you are having such a hard time to open
it.

Yea, the trick is to fnd the snaps and determine which way that
they "hook in". Each remote is different. The consolation here is
that once the remote is fouling up, it either has to be fixed or
replaced. Even if a couple of snaps are broken, if you can fix
it, you are still ahead of the game.

A common cause of failure are the conductive coatings on the rubber pads are
wearing out. If this is the case, you will need a new pad. Cleaning the
rubber contact pads will remove more of the conductive coating, thus
worsening the problem.

My experience is quite different. In *ALL* of the cases where
I've fixed these things, it was the oils/emulants in the rubber
pads (i.e., those that make the rubber soft) that leach out of
the pads and create insulating barriers between the buttons and
the circuit board contacts. Once those oils are removed, the pads
work just fine again. However, the oils always come back again as
the pad ages so in many cases you have to clean them again and
again. I've done this many times for remotes, telephones, cheap
calculators, etc, and I've never had an issue with the conductive
coating coming off yet. That doesn't mean it won't happen, only
that I've never had it happen to me. It's always been the oils.

I usually remove the oils with soft (liquid) hand soap and an old
toothbrush with warm water. Not sure if this is the best way to
do it but it's the way I've used for quite a while now.

There is something called a remote control kit that is available to recoat
the pads. This kit is fairly expensive.

Again, I've yet to have the need for anything like this.

- Jeff
Daryl

Yea, the trick is to fnd the snaps and determine which way that
they "hook in". Each remote is different.

Yes, I think you're right. I haven't a clue where the snaps are though.
I've had success with other remotes and cordless telephones before though -
but the Topline 5 has me stumped!

In *ALL* of the cases where
I've fixed these things, it was the oils/emulants in the rubber
pads (i.e., those that make the rubber soft) that leach out of
the pads and create insulating barriers between the buttons and
the circuit board contacts.

I've seen the oily pad problem before and I was expecting this to be the
case with the Topline 5. The wear and tear of the conductive surface hadn't
even occurred to me. I think I will find an oily surface though (at least I
hope I will).

So, can anybody enlighten me as to where the 'snaps' are on a Topline 5?

Thanks,

Daz

---

NSM

"Jeff Wiseman" wrote in message
| My experience is quite different. In *ALL* of the cases where
| I've fixed these things, it was the oils/emulants in the rubber
| pads (i.e., those that make the rubber soft) that leach out of
| the pads and create insulating barriers between the buttons and
| the circuit board contacts. ...

Actually the 'rubber' isn't rubber. It's a synthetic and contains
plasticizers which constantly leach out. That's why a power cord will weld
to styrene packing if it isn't wrapped up separately.

NSM

"Daryl" wrote in message

| I've seen the oily pad problem before and I was expecting this to be the
| case with the Topline 5. The wear and tear of the conductive surface
hadn't
| even occurred to me. I think I will find an oily surface though (at least
| hope I will).
|
| So, can anybody enlighten me as to where the 'snaps' are on a Topline 5?

All I can suggest is to pry at the case with a narrow blade or a thumbnail
and try to peek in the cracks to spot them.

Daryl

"Daryl" wrote in message
Hi all!

My One-for-all Topline 5 universal remote control is suffering from dirty
contacts. Easy to repair? You bet! I have a stumbling block though - I
can't get the thing open!

Can anybody offer any advice on how to open a One-for-all Topline 5 remote
control without breaking the thing?

I fixed it. I ended up prizing the two parts of the remote apart with a
small screwdriver (it's made a small mark but it's fine) after undoing a
screw. I polished all the contacts after unscrewing yet more bits (the
circuit board) and then put back together.

It's as good as new apart from a few unobtrusive marks on the side.

Daz

---

NSM

"Daryl" wrote in message

| I fixed it. I ended up prizing the two parts of the remote apart with a
| small screwdriver (it's made a small mark but it's fine) after undoing a
| screw. I polished all the contacts after unscrewing yet more bits (the
| circuit board) and then put back together.
|
| It's as good as new apart from a few unobtrusive marks on the side.

That's how the professionals do it.