woodworker

Default Pioneer VSX D906S turns on and then shuts off

I just received a free VSX D906S receiver from a friend at work. He
said it may have been struck by lightening. When plugged in the
standby light is lit. When the power button is pressed the unit comes
on and acts normal for about 3sec. After about 3sec the display shows
"Powerdown" and then shuts off.

How serious is this problem? I am sure I could troubleshoot the
problem, if someone could provide some guidance.

Thanks,
Rick
Ampdoc

If you can't find shorted finals from that symptom you should take it to a
qualified servicer familiar with Pioneer. Powerdown means either overcurrent
or DC bias protect has tripped. Could be a loose solder connection in the
output section but most likely is shorted finals. Lightning had nothing to
do with that probably unless the micro is bad, but it would be unusual. Most
times lightning kills the tuner or standby xfmr.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
om...