Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default White Van home theater amp

One of my customers dropped off this combo 5.1 amp and sub for work. I tried to discourage him but he insisted. I let it sit a week and just cracked it open a few minutes ago. I think it has a bad programmable micro AT89C2051, but when I searched on "Theater Innovations" and TI-5100 to see if parts were available, I came up with this as being one of those white van deals. Looking it over, it's honestly no worse than any other toilet one would buy at Walmart, and maybe even better than some. It has TO-3P Toshiba outputs for the sub and Thomson TO-220 for the balance of the speaker outputs. I don't know how many watts were claimed on the box, but the back of the amp says 900W, so they're not lying LOL. It does have a nice toroid transformer though..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/16/2020 1:00 AM, wrote:
One of my customers dropped off this combo 5.1 amp and sub for work. I tried to discourage him but he insisted. I let it sit a week and just cracked it open a few minutes ago. I think it has a bad programmable micro AT89C2051, but when I searched on "Theater Innovations" and TI-5100 to see if parts were available, I came up with this as being one of those white van deals. Looking it over, it's honestly no worse than any other toilet one would buy at Walmart, and maybe even better than some. It has TO-3P Toshiba outputs for the sub and Thomson TO-220 for the balance of the speaker outputs. I don't know how many watts were claimed on the box, but the back of the amp says 900W, so they're not lying LOL. It does have a nice toroid transformer though..

I have a Chinese 2.1 that I bought for the equivalent of ~US$20
about 15 years ago. The claimed output is 1480W!! I traced the
circuit quite some time ago and estimated the actual power at
roughly 5W + 2.5Wx2, maybe less.

The sound is quite good though - for that price. Not hi-fi of
course, but it sounds better than all other models I've listened
to in the same price range. Better, in fact, than many others
costing twice or more. It has a smooth rich bass, not boomy, and
clear mids and highs.