descentr

Default Protection LED

I've got a Hitachi 50UX26B (about 8 years old) that stopped working
today. I pulled off the back cover to see what the red light was and
it was and LED labeled "Protection."

I imagine it could be one of a number of things gone wrong. I would
like to get opinions as to what the likely cause might be and about
how much it would probably cost to fix it. I know you can't say
exactly what the problem is, but I was thinking there might be a
"usual suspects" kind of thing that might give me an idea of whether
or not I want to spend the dollars to have someone come in and cart
the thing off for a couple of weeks and then tell me it'll cost $600
to fix it. I'm not sure I want to put a lot back into this set, but
I'd hate to buy a new one if it could be fixed for a couple of hundred
bucks.

Thanks,
Mike
Art

When the power supply circuit starts up all the leds should light up, when
it goes into protect mode they will dim and finally go out, the one that
goes out first is usually associated with the defective power source, or if
a fuse link has opened, the led that stays on the longest after protect mode
initiates. Of course the red protect led will remain on indicting that
indeed there is a problem. You probably will require the service manual and
at the minimum a good dmm. First thing I check in these cases are all the
protective devices, inclusive of the small chemical fuses that look like a
tan resistor having just a number inked on their surface. Sometimes referred
to device P-XXXX on the circuit board. Once you find the open fuse link then
you will have to trouble shoot the circuit that is loading that particular
branch of the supply, including the deflection circuit, LOPT, and yokes. If
not sure how to approach doing this then have a service technician familiar
with the Hitachi sets evaluate it for you and give you an estimate of cost.
"descentr" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Fred McKenzie

I pulled off the back cover to see what the red light was and
it was and LED labeled "Protection."

Mike-

I would guess that the LED and a series resistor, were wired across a fuse or
circuit breaker. When the fuse blows, current flows through the LED, but the
resistor limits current to a few milliamps.

If this turns out to be the case, its anybody's guess what could have caused
the fuse to blow, unless someone knows that this model has a particular common
problem.

Fred

Jeff Rigby

"descentr" wrote in message
om...
I've got a Hitachi 50UX26B (about 8 years old) that stopped working
today. I pulled off the back cover to see what the red light was and
it was and LED labeled "Protection."

I imagine it could be one of a number of things gone wrong. I would
like to get opinions as to what the likely cause might be and about
how much it would probably cost to fix it. I know you can't say
exactly what the problem is, but I was thinking there might be a
"usual suspects" kind of thing that might give me an idea of whether
or not I want to spend the dollars to have someone come in and cart
the thing off for a couple of weeks and then tell me it'll cost $600
to fix it. I'm not sure I want to put a lot back into this set, but
I'd hate to buy a new one if it could be fixed for a couple of hundred
bucks.

Thanks,

Unplug the set, wait 5 min and plug back in. There are 6 green led's and
one red led. Do the green LED's all light. IF not does the red led stay the
same intensity. If it does you have an open fuse to the reg IC and the reg
IC is bad. If one of the green leds does not light then you have a problem
in that supply line. IF the 120 volt, a fuse is probably open and a cap
across the horiz output shorted.

Repairs average $250.00 on projection sets.

Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Surge protection? al UK diy 22 November 26th 03 02:14 AM
Sony STR-D865 Receiver "Protection" mode William Buchholz Electronics Repair 3 November 5th 03 01:12 PM