DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Motion Detector senstitivty (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/649723-motion-detector-senstitivty.html)

[email protected] May 24th 20 01:48 PM

Motion Detector senstitivty

Ever since the quake a few years ago the motion detector switch by my front
hall has been too sensitive, causing me to use it manually.

I opened it to look for a sensitivty adjuser, no luck.

Am considering putting masking tape over the sensor to make it less
sensitive. Or to put a box around it (ie, wall it offon sides).

Other Ideas?

Maybe the quake caused a crack in my wall I can't see. I was squating when
the quake hit and fell on my face. Yes, in outer NYC. I have two other such
switches of the same make and age, no problem.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com

Michael Terrell May 24th 20 02:09 PM

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:48:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Ever since the quake a few years ago the motion detector switch by my front
hall has been too sensitive, causing me to use it manually.

I opened it to look for a sensitivty adjuser, no luck.

Am considering putting masking tape over the sensor to make it less
sensitive. Or to put a box around it (ie, wall it offon sides).

Other Ideas?

Maybe the quake caused a crack in my wall I can't see. I was squatting when
the quake hit and fell on my face. Yes, in outer NYC. I have two other such
switches of the same make and age, no problem.

The quake may have changed the aim, and the focal point Try adusting its aim. Mine are least sensitive, dead center, since they detect a differential in temperatures. I had to aim one at a wall, to use it in a long hallway.

ABLE1[_4_] May 24th 20 02:09 PM

On 5/24/2020 8:48 AM, wrote:
Ever since the quake a few years ago the motion detector switch by my front
hall has been too sensitive, causing me to use it manually.

I opened it to look for a sensitivty adjuser, no luck.

Am considering putting masking tape over the sensor to make it less
sensitive. Or to put a box around it (ie, wall it offon sides).

Other Ideas?

Maybe the quake caused a crack in my wall I can't see. I was squating when
the quake hit and fell on my face. Yes, in outer NYC. I have two other such
switches of the same make and age, no problem.

Most motion detectors use infrared temperature sensing to trigger. It
stabilizes on background temperatures. When a warm object moves into
it's range it senses the temperature rise and triggers the rest of the
circuit. Very doubtful your issue has anything to do with the
earthquake. Some not all have some kind of sensitivity adjustment.
More likely it is due to age more than anything.

Replace with a better model(one that has adj.)

Good Luck!!

[email protected] May 25th 20 12:09 PM

Motion Detector senstitivty

I tried the masking tape and for a minute. I thought it worked then it just
slept on me. I played with the sliding on-auto-off switch and indeed it may
be the auto contact isn't working. Yeah, if we survive covid/lockdown,
replace switch. At least it works as manual.

QUake was 2011, sorry

- = -