Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Harman Kardan AVR1700 Rcvr BCO update

I had the same BCO Update message, then eventually the amber light was just stuck on, even when I unplugged power. And it still wouldn't turn on.

Here's what I did to fix it. There's an power on/off switch in the back, next to the power cable input. Turn it to off, then unplug the power cable. Then plug it back in, flip the switch back to on, then hold the Surr Mode button for 5 seconds. Suddenly, it came back to life.

I suspect that that on/off switch is what holds on to some reserve power (why the amber light stayed on even when it was unplugged) and it was froze up in that mode. I think by both unplugging it and flipping the power mode to off, it releases that reserve power and then you can successfully reboot it using their recommended "Surr Mode for 5 seconds" technique. Just a guess, but it worked for me!

Another method would be to unplug the cord for 3-5 minutes or so and then turn it back on. The BCO update screen should be gone. Just wanted to share as this works for me so far.
Regarding the file upload method, strangely when I went to Harmon Kardon webserver, it does show the "Status Information" and 'Network Configuration' but no where I can find any upload button. Not sure if I am the only one not seeing something obvious.