Lonnie Montebat

Default Help with Mitsubishi VCR

I have a Mitsubishi HS-U110 Vcr which is over 10 years old but has
not been used all that much. It records and plays very well but often
I must unplug it several times before I can use it.
I will turn it off and occasionally it will turn itself back on.
Nothing will be running, but the display lights will all be on.
Sometimes I will attempt to load a tape and it will load and then
eject for several attempts. When it is loaded, it will indicate on the
display, Tape In, then Tape Out, Tape In, for maybe a minute. Then I
can play a tape normally, but if I pause it for a commercial, after
maybe 30 seconds, it will start rapidly displaying the various cycles
(rewind, ffwd, ...) , and I must unplug it to get it back. Now just
recently, when I eject a tape, I can hear the motor running for about
5 seconds before shutting off. I cleaned the mode switch but that did
not help.
Any help would be appreciated.

a few things come to mind he
1)bad caps in power supply, just replace them all with 105º rated
subsitutes.
2)needs new mode switch,
3)loose or slack loading belt,
4) dirty or worn cass-in sensor switches
5) corrupted controller?

.....has the unit been in a smoker's house perchance?

Not familiar with this machine, but if the unit is a 10-year old basic
2 head mono model, say, then don't waste time on it. Only consider
investing time and money repairing if it's a higher end model.
Ben

(Lonnie Montebat) wrote in message ...
[...]

Lonnie Montebat

On 6 Aug 2004 17:09:14 -0700, (b) wrote:

a few things come to mind he
1)bad caps in power supply, just replace them all with 105º rated
subsitutes.
2)needs new mode switch,
3)loose or slack loading belt,
4) dirty or worn cass-in sensor switches
5) corrupted controller?

....has the unit been in a smoker's house perchance?

Not familiar with this machine, but if the unit is a 10-year old basic
2 head mono model, say, then don't waste time on it. Only consider
investing time and money repairing if it's a higher end model.
Ben

Thank you for the advice. The vcr is a 4 head mono model. No it has
not been exposed to very much smoke. I paid about $200 for it back in
` 1995.

[...]

Arch-lab

Hi,
I have a HS-U45 someone dropped off to look at. Don't have any of the
details yet, but I will keep my eye on this thread. Perhaps I can get
some hints on the common faults on these guys.

[...]

Lonnie Montebat

As I remember better, the rapid switching on the display started about
5-6 years ago. I was using the Mitsubishi along with another vcr to
edit out commercials on movies that I had taped. I was doing a lot of
start, pause, resume, rewind in the course of editing. I was using the
frame advance as well, and then this started happening. I have used it
for years by unplugging it to get around the rapid flashing of the
various cycles. The turning on by itself just started recently and
usually occurs in hot weather. Normally it does not do this.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:49:13 GMT, "Arch-lab" wrote:

[...]

Arch-lab

It appears the audio isn't working on this one...