Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 350
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

Ok, the first monitor was old, maybe 12yrs, on an HP Aero. But the same week
I lost a brand new computer monitor. And the weather was light drizzle.
Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain. And the laptop ran
with an adaptor which means the surge wudda had to jump the induction coild
(unlikely). I realy want to put som erational persectiv eon this.

So the most reasonable explanation was someone told me there were odd
electrical storms that week, something like Aurora Borealis.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if such electrical events occured then
and if they do explain these events?

I did Fry two modems in 2002 but htose were real nasty storms, one was
actually a tornado that took a few roofs of fin my block. That one I can
UNDERSTAND. Now, I have a surge supressor on my phone line (all my home
computers use dialup not broadband). And they switche dus to fiber two years
ago, but they took the coppe routput all around the hous eand put it back
into the copper nabe box. So I made a ground from where the ol dcopper
eneters the house to my fence. Some say I shudda just put the wire in the
ground not the fence.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---




  #4   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,625
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:44:34 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:

The OP said:

"Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain."

Computers should not be run in the rain, they need to be protected from
the weather...unless specifically designed for outdoor all-weather use!


I dunno - were the OP to hold a 240 VAC power-supply for that computer between his legs in a driving rain, it may have a salubrious effect.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 524
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:00:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:44:34 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:

The OP said:

"Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain."

Computers should not be run in the rain, they need to be protected from
the weather...unless specifically designed for outdoor all-weather use!


I dunno - were the OP to hold a 240 VAC power-supply for that computer between his legs in a driving rain, it may have a salubrious effect.


120 can be just as lethal as 240.
(its the current, not the volts that's the problem in those accidents)


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,625
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:26:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

120 can be just as lethal as 240.
(its the current, not the volts that's the problem in those accidents)


But not nearly as fast or as certain.

  #8   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 81
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

On 24 Jun 2019 13:45:21 GMT, Rob wrote:

wrote:
Ok, the first monitor was old, maybe 12yrs, on an HP Aero. But the same week
I lost a brand new computer monitor. And the weather was light drizzle.
Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain. And the laptop ran
with an adaptor which means the surge wudda had to jump the induction coild
(unlikely). I realy want to put som erational persectiv eon this.


You should consult Skybuck Flying, he is reasoning along the same lines.


Af lakeys pacebar?
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,625
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10:04:12 PM UTC-4, Rheilly Phoull wrote:

And given the high resistance of the human bod I feel they are
interactive, you cant have a current through high resistance with low
voltage


The (healthy adult) human body is, effectively, a 10,000 ohm, 1/4-watt resistor. Anything that will put more than 1/4 watt through 10,000 ohms will cause damage.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 524
Default Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

On 25/06/2019 3:12 am, wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:26:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

120 can be just as lethal as 240.
(its the current, not the volts that's the problem in those accidents)


But not nearly as fast or as certain.


Otherwise 120v ground fault protection would never trip as early as sensing just 5 milliamps.
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"