Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

None that I've found. The parts that are hard to measure, I generally just
give up and buy a few score of each nearby size. At a PPOE,
we kept notes on 'hits' when an important failure-prone connector matched
something we could order (didn't happen a lot).

If it were time-critical (and I couldn't find a junker adapter to clip a
pigtail from), I've got drill bit shanks down to #60 (~1mm), and modeling
clay, and a measuring microscope. The thing is, even if I DID measure
accurately, the 'nominal' sizes of commercially available mates would
still be a mystery. So, it's easier to keep a divider-box of a dozen sizes
of the males/females, with annotation as to what to reorder.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

------------------------
Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

** These measure ODs and IDs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-0-...233906118.html

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 23:03:26 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

------------------------
Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

** These measure ODs and IDs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-0-...233906118.html

but are very inaccurate when measuring small diameter internal holes such as barrel connectors. Try it & you'll see why.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/24/18 5:03 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
** These measure ODs and IDs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-0-...233906118.html

.... Phil

Those are nice.
In addition to the standard vernier calipers, I have the dial type.
So much easier to read.
They are also available now with LCD displays.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nick Cat wrote:

----------------

Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

** These measure ODs and IDs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-0-...233906118.html

but are very inaccurate when measuring small diameter internal holes
such as barrel connectors. Try it & you'll see why.

** For accuracy, I use small & PCB drills as feeler gauges.

Which had been posted here already....

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 1:52:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

I don't know how you'd measure after it went through a crimp-tool.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

----------------------------
wrote:
Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

I don't know how you'd measure after it went through a crimp-tool.

** Huh ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

I've always called them "DC plugs" so folk know what I am talking about.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 26 February 2018 20:45:51 UTC, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 2/26/18 1:21 PM, tabbypurr wrote:

calipers are good if the points are relatively sharp and they
line up, neither was the case for the device linked to, nor
is for most other cheapie vernier calipers.

Sorry to hear you can't tell the difference between crap tools
and ones that work.
Or that you can't even get good tools to work.

sorry to hear you like to be childish
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/26/2018 02:21 PM, wrote:
On Monday, 26 February 2018 14:00:58 UTC, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 02/24/2018 03:44 AM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 24 February 2018 08:25:21 UTC, Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
says...

Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors? AKA
"barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug,
but those pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

Sort of. I either use one of a set of matching sockets or small
lengths of fine tubing. Sockets are easier to measure using
fine twist drills which are typically sold in sets...

Mike.

outer dia: micrometer, drill bits, nails inner dia: drill bits,
small nails/pins,

NT

Sharp calipers are okay for both.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

calipers are good if the points are relatively sharp and they line
up, neither was the case for the device linked to, nor is for most
other cheapie vernier calipers.

I have a couple of Mitutoyo ones that work great and weren't expensive.
Chinese ones are good for scribing circles on copper or aluminum and
other such jobs that might hurt the good Japanese ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/26/18 7:06 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
I have a couple of Mitutoyo ones that work great and weren't expensive.
Chinese ones are good for scribing circles on copper or aluminum and
other such jobs that might hurt the good Japanese ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

My vernier calipers are Mitutoyo.
My Dial calipers are Starret.

I have a couple of the absolutey cheap plastic ones.
Those are for telling the difference between English and Metric
hardware in the "oh boy" bucket.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

----------------------------
wrote:
Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

I don't know how you'd measure after it went through a crimp-tool.

** Huh ??

When you hook a coax connector to coax cable, you crimp it with a crimping device so it won't fall off of the coax cable.
(at least I did)

As with every connector, if you crimp it at one end, its inevitably going to change measurement at the other end (though probably not significantly).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 08:03:00 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
(...)

One more idea.
Buy or make a tapered hole gauge:
https://www.google.com/search?q=taper+hole+gauge&tbm=isch
It would need to be made for the purpose to prevent bottoming out on
the connector. I have a few that I made for go/no-go inspection
gauges by grinding a steel rule blank and etching marks with ferric
chloride.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:06:20 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

I have a couple of Mitutoyo ones that work great and weren't expensive.
Chinese ones are good for scribing circles on copper or aluminum and
other such jobs that might hurt the good Japanese ones.
Phil Hobbs

Are you sure that your Mitutoyo calipers are not a counterfeit?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mitutoyo+caliper+fake
I gambled and bought a Mitutoyo Digimatic 500-196-20 for $35. It was
a fake. After cleaning out the shavings from the guts, removing the
burrs, and squaring the jaws so that they were parallel, I did
something that blew up the electronics. Sorry, no photos.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a couple of Mitutoyo ones that work great and weren't expensive.
Chinese ones are good for scribing circles on copper or aluminum and
other such jobs that might hurt the good Japanese ones.
Phil Hobbs

Are you sure that your Mitutoyo calipers are not a counterfeit?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mitutoyo+caliper+fake
I gambled and bought a Mitutoyo Digimatic 500-196-20 for $35. It was
a fake. After cleaning out the shavings from the guts, removing the
burrs, and squaring the jaws so that they were parallel, I did
something that blew up the electronics. Sorry, no photos.

Well, I bought them some years back from an actual Mitu distributor, so
I'm pretty sure they're real. No swarf, no detectable parallellism
error, no noticeable offset between depth gauge and ID/OD blades, good
battery life, nice case.

My cheap 'n' cheerful Chinese ones are actually quite OK as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs