Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Slip ring/alternator questions

I'm sure someone here can help. I need to get power to a solenoid
operated valve spinning at 5000 RPM. Low power, 24 volts at 5 watts.
The power will be on for about 4 seconds and off for 7 seconds. This
on/off cycle will be going on 10 hours a day. I have looked at slip
rings online but the high speed through hole type are really spendy.
Then I got to thinking about the slip rings in alternator. They
certainly can carry enough current but I don't know how fast
alternators typically spin. I do have an old alternator that would
make a good slip ring donor. Anybody know or have a better idea? I
need about 1 inch diameter through the slip rings.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I'm sure someone here can help. I need to get power to a solenoid
operated valve spinning at 5000 RPM. Low power, 24 volts at 5 watts.
The power will be on for about 4 seconds and off for 7 seconds. This
on/off cycle will be going on 10 hours a day. I have looked at slip
rings online but the high speed through hole type are really spendy.
Then I got to thinking about the slip rings in alternator. They
certainly can carry enough current but I don't know how fast
alternators typically spin. I do have an old alternator that would
make a good slip ring donor. Anybody know or have a better idea? I
need about 1 inch diameter through the slip rings.
Thanks,
Eric

Most motorcycle alternators deliver peak output at 5000RPM - they're
probably not all that different to car ones.

AFAIK: most car alternators moved on to coaxial pole coupling for the rotary
field winding - which eliminates the need for slip rings.

---
http://www.avg.com