DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/581671-how-best-dilute-gasoline-use-kitchen-sink.html)

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 12:05 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

I use gasoline as a home goo-gone substitute for removing labels.
Most often I do it outside, because of the stink, but I want to keep it
inside in tiny amounts, diluted as much as possible.

I've already tried all the common home chemicals from alcohol to acetone to
lemon juice to engine degreaser to dish detergent to brake cleaner to windex
to automatic-transmission fluid and MAF cleaner, all of which work sometimes
but all of which fail often (either because they melt the container or they
don't dissolve the goo).

I've even tried common flavorings such as orange blossom extract, rose
water, pure lemon extract, coconut oil and walnut oil, which, surprisingly,
are totally useless (but they do smell the best!).

I've found, through decades of experience, that gasoline, which also fails
sometimes, works more often than any other household common chemical.

But gasoline has all the problems that most of you will love to "teach" me,
but that's not the question (so please don't try to teach me why gasoline
vapors are flammable and why I should goo-be-gone outdoors because I know
that).

Also please don't try to teach me that there are commercial lemon-oil
solutions.

I just want to dilute the gasoline and I already know that even the diluted
gasoline vapors will be flammable. We take risks sometimes when working
around the house and not being a pussy about it all the time.

So I plan to keep a small jar of gasoline properly labeled under the kitchen
sink (let's not go into the dangers of doing that, because properly diluting
it won't solve that danger for the most part).

Without being a pussy about the question, do you have any suggestion that
you think might work best to dilute the gasoline 10:1 (or even 100:1) so
that I'm using the minimum effective amount of gasoline indoors?

What can I 'cut' the gasoline with that will mix with the gas and dilute it
(maybe 10:1 or even maybe 100:1)?

Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

Stormin' Norman November 19th 16 12:22 AM

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:05:58 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

[...]

Ethanol, 2 cycle engine oil, methanol.

That said, you are better off using wd-40, turpentine or mineral spirits instead of gasoline. WD-40 does a
great job removing labels.

Ed Pawlowski November 19th 16 12:25 AM

On 11/18/2016 7:05 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

But gasoline has all the problems that most of you will love to "teach" me,
but that's not the question (so please don't try to teach me why gasoline
vapors are flammable and why I should goo-be-gone outdoors because I know
that).

Also please don't try to teach me that there are commercial lemon-oil
solutions.

Nope, won't even call you an idiot for using gasoline in the house. For
liability reasons though, I won't tell you what can dilute it because
none are truly safe.

I bet the guys down at the firehouse know what to use. You should go
down and ask them.

JC[_6_] November 19th 16 12:35 AM

[...]

You are the ****ing idiot that ALWAYS turns up at a wet bonfire arn't you.
Well if you really want to set fire to your house you can add denatured
alcohol, available in walmart but really, gasoline just stinks and I
wouldn't want it anywhere in my house. Garage is bad enough.

Removing goop/labels.

1) Try WD40
2? Try WD40 and denatured alcohol combined.
3) Dependent on what the goop is on and if its painted add a drop of
Acetone (also in Walmart) or use pure Acetone.
4) Isopropyl alcohol 90% (Walmart) shifts stuff 1-3 wont.
5) White spirit is almost as effective as gasoline, again add Acetone if
the subject wont be damaged.

Don't use gasoline, it stinks and will blow up when your fag smoking
missus walks in.

dadiOH[_7_] November 19th 16 12:37 AM

"Robert Bannon" wrote in message

Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

oil
alcohol

Frank[_24_] November 19th 16 12:47 AM

[...]

I have chemical suggestions but what you want to do is just plain dumb.

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 12:49 AM

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:22:22 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Ethanol, 2 cycle engine oil, methanol.

That said, you are better off using wd-40, turpentine or mineral spirits instead of gasoline. WD-40 does a
great job removing labels.

Interesting suggestions!
For different reasons.

1. Because I long ago found common household isopropyl alcohol useless as a
goo-be-gone substitute, I had forgotten that they "cut" gasoline 15% in cars
using corn alcohol, so, why hadn't I thought of cutting the gasoline with
"alcohol"?

So thanks for that suggestion - but it seems to come with a problem.

The problem of course, is that ethanol isn't easy to come by cheaply, even
though it, itself, is as cheap as corn. Even in the cheapest grain alcohol
that I can find at a liquor store, it's almost certainly gonna be far more
expensive than the gasoline that I'm cutting.

So, it might work, but it defeats the purpose of a cheap home remedy.
(Unless there is a methanol source that is cheap?)

2. Two stroke engine oil. Again, this is a great suggestion (if it works).
But it too seems to come with a problem.

The problem is that, while we all routinely cut our two-stroke tools'
gasoline with 40:1 and 50:1 two-stroke oil, the cutting is in the opposite
direction. We're actually cutting the oil with gasoline, and not cutting the
gasoline with oil.

So, a reverse dilution of 10 parts oil and 1 part gasoline doesn't seem, on
first inspection, to be a viable solution (because it may be too oily, which
is antagonistic to the original goal).

3. I had tried wd40 in the past and found it not useful but maybe I need to
try it again? Like everyone, I grew up with WD-40 and 3-in-one cans always
on the garage shelf, but over the years, I have found far too many people
suggesting wd40 for far too many things, where, in EVERY CASE I ever
investigated, there was a far better miracle-in-a-can than WD-40.

WD-40 stinks worse than gasoline, by the way, to me anyway - where it gives
me a headache, so, for that reason alone, it would be no good. But even if I
could handle the stink of WD-40, from memory, it's just a "displacement
fluid" which I don't see *any* use of which doesn't have a better solution
for what it does (whether that be cracking nuts or "lubricating" garage
springs or whatever).

In short, I haven't had WD-40 around in years because I stopped believing in
miracles in a can. But if it works at a 10:1 ratio of 10 parts WD40 to 1
part gasoline, maybe that might be feasible?

4. On Turpentime and mineral spirits, I went to the hardware store recently
to get MEK and they can't even sell that in California. I think I was
looking at the other "solvents" like paint thinner, and they can't sell them
either except at "substitutes". I'll have to look again, but I've already
tried all the "solvents" that I had in my garage, which is as cluttered as
anyone's so I had plenty of paint thinners there (but I didn't mention that
in the OP).

Still, they may be the BEST bet yet, so I'm glad you brought them up.
a. Except in California, they're pretty commonly available
b. They're cheap enough to use at 10 parts solvent & 1 part gasoline
c. They are solvents so they won't be antagonistic to the original goal

I'll head off to the hardware store to see what California chemicals I can
find that are cheap and that are solvents that I can cut at a 10:1 ratio of
solvent to gasoline.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] November 19th 16 12:50 AM

On 11/18/16 6:05 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

No. A question though. Have you tried diesel fuel or kerosene to
remove labels?

A bunch cut.

Oren[_2_] November 19th 16 01:15 AM

wrote:

I've found, through decades of experience, that gasoline, which also fails
sometimes, works more often than any other household common chemical.

Lighter fluid, NAPHTHA!

Did you try peanut butter on the labels?

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 01:23 AM

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:47:59 -0500, Frank wrote:

I have chemical suggestions but what you want to do is just plain dumb.

Men (real men) handle danger.

You never worked on a car engine?
Or rode a motorcycle?
Or used a chainsaw?

Men (real men) handle danger.
They just make sure they know what they're doing first.

That's why I'm asking the question in the first place.

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 01:23 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:37:42 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

oil
alcohol

The two-stroke oil idea made sense that it will mix with gasoline, but it's
oily which seems to defeat the goal.

The alchol is almost certainly the best idea, but I was thinking "ethanol",
which is only available diluted with water (as vodka, for example), which is
too much water in California where even everclear is restricted in
concentration by the nanny state (and probably too expensive anyway).

But, I did not think about using isopropyl rubbing alcohol, which is cheap
and readily available at Costco.

The reason I didn't think of it is because it in and of itself didn't work
at all, but if I use it to cut the gas at 10 parts alcohol to 1 part
gasoline, it might have enough gas to still work.

I will try that and let you know.

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 01:23 AM

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:35:10 -0500, JC wrote:

You are the ****ing idiot that ALWAYS turns up at a wet bonfire arn't you.

This is a thinking question for scientists; not a nanny question.

Well if you really want to set fire to your house you can add denatured
alcohol, available in walmart but really, gasoline just stinks and I
wouldn't want it anywhere in my house. Garage is bad enough.

I think the methanol suggestion is probably best, but the problem is that
getting any alcohol in California is problematic.

Looking up "denatured alcohol" for Walmart this says the item is no longer
available:
Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol, 1qt, Walmart #: 001252149
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Str...l-1qt/17208795

Removing goop/labels.

1) Try WD40
2? Try WD40 and denatured alcohol combined.

I have never found WD-40 to be useful, and it stinks (to me) far worse than
does gasoline. It gives me a headache.

3) Dependent on what the goop is on and if its painted add a drop of
Acetone (also in Walmart) or use pure Acetone.

I have plenty of acetone but it doesn't work well on most of the goo (but it
works great on removing painted stuff on plastic). My kids use my shop
acetone as a fingernail polish remover and it works great for that too (but
dries their skin).

Acetone tends to melt far more stuff than did the gasoline.
As I said in the OP, I gave up on the acetone, but, I didn't think of using
it as the solution to cut the gasoline.

So I will try a small amount of 50:50 acetone to gasoline, which will be my
starter fluid.

4) Isopropyl alcohol 90% (Walmart) shifts stuff 1-3 wont.

Since rubbing alcohol didn't work in and of itself, I hadn't thought of
using it as the diluent, but it has the best chance of working.

So, I think I'll try out a 50:50 mix of rubbing alcohol and gasoline to see
how that works and then dilute further from there if it works well.

5) White spirit is almost as effective as gasoline, again add Acetone if
the subject wont be damaged.

It's problematic to get petroleum distillates in California, but they're
probably second only to the alcohol for cutting the gasoline. I will head
off to the hardware store to see what California spirits are still sold on
the shelves.

Don't use gasoline, it stinks and will blow up when your fag smoking
missus walks in.

What are you going to tell me when I tell you I actually use a chainsaw in
my back yard (without wearing leather pants!!!!!!!!!!!)?

Or that I actually climb up on a ladder or on my roof to clean the gutters
(without wearing an OSHA harness!!!!!!)?

Or that I actually light a fire inside my fireplace using actual matches and
wood tinder (without calling the Fire Department hotline ahead of time)?

Plus, you didn't even warn me about the gas going in my septic system!

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 01:23 AM

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:25:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I bet the guys down at the firehouse know what to use. You should go
down and ask them.

I knew there would be nanny comments which add zero value.

I'm surmised you didn't nanny me on septic system comments in addition to
the fire house comment though.

StorminNormin kept to the scientific point, which was clearly what this
thread is about.

This is a thinking question for scientists; not a nanny question for
pussies.

This thread is only about what's the best readily available cheap solvent to
cut gasoline with so that the gas remains a solvent but has fewer of its
natural deleterious properties.

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 02:02 AM

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:15:08 -0800, Oren wrote:

Lighter fluid, NAPHTHA!

Did you try peanut butter on the labels?

Butane might cut gasoline, as you suggested.
Naptha is almost certain verboten in California.

But I'm not sure.
It's got to be sold in order for me to use it though.

I don't see naptha at Home Depot for example.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Pai...vZc5bmZ1z0t5hf

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 02:02 AM

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:50:09 -0600, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Have you tried diesel fuel or kerosene to
remove labels?

Gasoline works best so far, but I have not tried home heating oil, but my
house is heated by propane.

I can try to cut the gasoline with kerosene though, which might be available
in California stores.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to purchase a yellow container because they
won't let you fuel into anything else if I buy it at the pump.

Ken Layton November 19th 16 03:09 AM

wrote:

I've found, through decades of experience, that gasoline, which also fails
sometimes, works more often than any other household common chemical.

Lighter fluid, NAPHTHA!

Did you try peanut butter on the labels?

I use common cigarette lighter fluid available everywhere in the tobacco section.

micky November 19th 16 03:15 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:05:58 -0000 (UTC), Robert
Bannon wrote:

I've already tried all the common home chemicals from alcohol to acetone to
lemon juice to engine degreaser to dish detergent to brake cleaner to windex
to automatic-transmission fluid and MAF cleaner, all of which work sometimes
but all of which fail often (either because they melt the container or they
don't dissolve the goo).

I wamted to teach you about orange cleaner. It's not on your list.

I've even tried common flavorings such as orange blossom extract, rose

Not the same thing at all.

Robert Bannon November 19th 16 03:45 AM

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 01:23:05 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

Or that I actually light a fire inside my fireplace using actual matches and
wood tinder (without calling the Fire Department hotline ahead of time)?

BTW, I don't mean to chastise you unduly, as you did try to help
scientifically.

It's just that telling me the obvious stuff about gasoline isn't helpful
since we all know the obvious stuff.

Of course, if mixing gasoline with, say, naphtha causes it to become
unstable or explosive or something like that which is NOT OBVIOUS, then by
all means warn me.

But to warn me that a chain saw can cut off my finger, or that I can fall
off a ladder or winding a garage door spring is dangerous or that running
while holding sharp scissors can hurt someone, is just wasting everyone's
time stating the obvious to people who know it already.

So, I'm ok with 'real' warnings. Just not useless California nanny warnings.
Make sense?

JC[_6_] November 19th 16 04:16 AM

On 11/18/2016 10:45 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm just really glad I don't live in Califailia. I do like my
solvents.

Jeff Liebermann November 19th 16 04:35 AM

wrote:

I use gasoline as a home goo-gone substitute for removing labels.

If the base material can tolerate some heat, use a hot air heat gun:
"How to Remove Stickers and Labels Using Heat"
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-remove-stickers-and-labels-using-heat/

I don't know what kind of labels you're using, but the ones that I
have to remove from customers laptops uses easy to remove rubber
cement type glue, that is easily dissolved with almost any hydrocarbon
solvent. The trick is to let the solvent soak into the paper label or
soften the edge of a metal label. I think I use paint thinner.

However, I sometimes run into old labels where the glue has hardened
to something like a rock. For those, I mechanically scrape off most
of the label with a plastic razor blade paint scraper, and then attack
with the solvent.
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Double-Edged-Razor-Scraper/dp/B004623NU2

Well, you could try using something that was actually formulated for
removing labels:
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, Quart, 08984
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZIM9XPI
Ouch. Rather expensive at $25/quart.
SDS shows interesting and noxious chemicals:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00x4xt9PxmxOv70k 17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
Ingredient C.A.S. No. % by Wt
Xylene 1330-20-7 30 - 60 Trade Secret *
Hydrotreated Light Naphtha (Petroleum)
64742-49-0 30 - 60 Trade Secret *
Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 7 - 13 Trade Secret *
Toluene 108-88-3 0.5 - 1.5 Trade Secret *
Benzene 71-43-2 0.1 Trade Secret *
For naphtha, use Coleman camp fuel. Xylene and toluene are no longer
available in California, so those won't work.

There are made for purpose label removers, all of which really smell
awful. Goop-Off, Un-Du, Turtle Wax T-529, Goo-Gone, etc.

Then, there are the home concoctions:
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/remove-sticky-labels/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

[email protected] November 19th 16 04:37 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:25:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/18/2016 7:05 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

But gasoline has all the problems that most of you will love to "teach" me,
but that's not the question (so please don't try to teach me why gasoline
vapors are flammable and why I should goo-be-gone outdoors because I know
that).

Also please don't try to teach me that there are commercial lemon-oil
solutions.

Nope, won't even call you an idiot for using gasoline in the house. For
liability reasons though, I won't tell you what can dilute it because
none are truly safe.

I bet the guys down at the firehouse know what to use. You should go
down and ask them.

The only thing I know of that will "dilute" gasoline and make it
less flammable is Carbon Tet - which has serious safety issues itself
and has been illegal for years.

[email protected] November 19th 16 04:43 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 01:23:03 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:47:59 -0500, Frank wrote:

I have chemical suggestions but what you want to do is just plain dumb.

Men (real men) handle danger.

You never worked on a car engine?
Or rode a motorcycle?
Or used a chainsaw?

Men (real men) handle danger.
They just make sure they know what they're doing first.

That's why I'm asking the question in the first place.

But "real men" are not "totally" stupid. They mitigate danger where
it makes sense - and in your case it does. I hope you haven't fathered
any kids yet - the world doesn't need any more Bannons with yout
cheap-assed attitude. Buy a commercial goo remover that is safe
(relatively) to use - and use it outside in fresh air - because they
ALL STINK.

whit3rd November 19th 16 04:46 AM

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 4:06:00 PM UTC-8, Robert Bannon wrote:
Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

I use gasoline as a home goo-gone substitute ...

The non-abrasive/non-orange waterless hand cleaners will make alkanes
emulsify and wash away with water. Instead of gasoline, just use a few drops
of odorless paint thinner, applied with an eyedropper.

Then rub some goop on it and wash off.

[email protected] November 19th 16 04:48 AM

wrote:

[...]

Except rubbing alcohol is about 30% water (up to over 50%)

[email protected] November 19th 16 05:03 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 03:45:42 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

[...]

Naptha won't help the flammabilty/explosive danger. Butane is even
worse. Methanol is corrosive, VERY flammable and poisonous (absorbs
through the skin too)

Dichloromethane may be an alternative but it has serious health risks
as well

Mike Duffy[_5_] November 19th 16 06:33 AM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 03:45:42 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

So, I'm ok with 'real' warnings. Just not useless California nanny warnings.
Make sense?

My favorite 'nanny' warning from childhood was on a package of sodium
hypochlorite pool conditioner: 'Do not mix with brake fluid'.

Who would ever get the idea to make such a mixture otherwise?

PS: Make sure you are outside if you want to try this. It would also be a
good idea to put on safety goggles as well. And be patient. When the smoke
starts, don't attempt to speed things up by adding more of anything.

dadiOH[_7_] November 19th 16 12:04 PM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

"Robert Bannon" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:37:42 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

oil
alcohol

The two-stroke oil idea made sense that it will mix with gasoline, but
it's
oily which seems to defeat the goal.

Use detergent after.

The alchol is almost certainly the best idea, but I was thinking
"ethanol",
which is only available diluted with water (as vodka, for example), which
is
too much water in California where even everclear is restricted in
concentration by the nanny state (and probably too expensive anyway).

If you live near the border, go to Tijuana, go to a liquor store and buy
agua diente, It is pure (180 proof) ethanol. Fifty years ago it was $0.50
per liter, going to be more now.

Frank[_24_] November 19th 16 01:30 PM

wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:47:59 -0500, Frank wrote:

I have chemical suggestions but what you want to do is just plain dumb.

Men (real men) handle danger.

You never worked on a car engine?
Or rode a motorcycle?
Or used a chainsaw?

Men (real men) handle danger.
They just make sure they know what they're doing first.

That's why I'm asking the question in the first place.

But "real men" are not "totally" stupid. They mitigate danger where
it makes sense - and in your case it does. I hope you haven't fathered
any kids yet - the world doesn't need any more Bannons with yout
cheap-assed attitude. Buy a commercial goo remover that is safe
(relatively) to use - and use it outside in fresh air - because they
ALL STINK.

+ He does not know that I am a retired chemist. I survived many fires
and explosions and release of toxic materials in the lab so I sorta know
what I am talking about. Then from the technical side, if the gasoline
is diluted the polar characteristics will change and it may not function
the same.

Stormin' Norman November 19th 16 02:38 PM

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:49:21 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

I'll head off to the hardware store to see what California chemicals I can
find that are cheap and that are solvents that I can cut at a 10:1 ratio of
solvent to gasoline.

I will reiterate my recommendation, use WD-40 for label removal. If the odor is too offensive for your manly
sensibilities, buy the product in liquid form. If you do not atomize it with a spray, the odor is far less
pervasive.

With WD-40, apply a light layer to the label and just let it sit for a little while. Come back in 10 - 15
minutes and the adhesive will have dissolved and the label will slide off with virtually no work.

If you need a powerful solvent that will dissolve almost anything else, buy a can of lacquer thinner (yes, it
is available in California) LT is unbelievable in it's utility.

Use of and storage of gasoline and other highly carcinogenic chemicals mixtures inside the living area of a
residence is as inadvisable as smoking or leaving a loaded, unlocked firearm where might be accessible by a 5
year old child.

Bitrex November 19th 16 02:39 PM

On 11/18/2016 08:23 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:

Acetone tends to melt far more stuff than did the gasoline.
As I said in the OP, I gave up on the acetone, but, I didn't think of using
it as the solution to cut the gasoline.

One time, not thinking what I was doing, I poured a little hardware
store acetone into a Styrofoam cup, and instantly ended up with a big
gloppy mess of acetone and melted Styrofoam on my lap.

Then I felt dumb.

Bitrex November 19th 16 02:43 PM

On 11/18/2016 11:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

There are made for purpose label removers, all of which really smell
awful. Goop-Off, Un-Du, Turtle Wax T-529, Goo-Gone, etc.

Tangentially related: if you ever discover to your horror that you have
some white deodorant residue on a black dress shirt, Armor All interior
detailer spray gets it right off.

Don't ask how I came to know this.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 19th 16 02:51 PM

Stormin' Norman wrote:

I will reiterate my recommendation, use WD-40 for label removal. If
the odor is too offensive for your manly sensibilities, buy the
product in liquid form.

Dedicated label remover is better than WD-40 and the orange smell is
quite nice.

https://youtu.be/b4Cu1tYpc64

No, he doesn't compare petrol to the others :-P

Jon Danniken[_9_] November 19th 16 03:26 PM

On 11/18/16 5:05 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

What can I 'cut' the gasoline with that will mix with the gas and dilute it
(maybe 10:1 or even maybe 100:1)?

Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline?

Naptha, AKA lighter fluid (Ronson brand) or paint thinner). Or "white
gas" AKA camping gas (coleman gas, or the stuff they sell at REI by the
quart).

Jon

p.s. Don't do it, it's dangerous, you'll blow up the neighborhood, blah
blah blah.

amdx[_3_] November 19th 16 04:51 PM

wrote:

[...]

I remove the labels on some 3.5 gallon food grade buckets by cutting
paper towel the size of the label, lay it over the label and then put
just enough Xylene on the paper towel to wet it. I wait 5 minutes and
the label will peel off whole with no problem. Sometimes I need to use
the paper towel to remove residual glue.
Before I found that, I could spend a hour scraping off the label. now
I can get 20 done in less than an hour.
Mikek

[email protected] November 19th 16 04:56 PM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 14:38:22 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

[...]

It will also REALLY **** off your insurance company - even if stored
in a sealed "listed" container.

[email protected] November 19th 16 04:57 PM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 09:39:11 -0500, bitrex
wrote:

On 11/18/2016 08:23 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:

Acetone tends to melt far more stuff than did the gasoline.
As I said in the OP, I gave up on the acetone, but, I didn't think of using
it as the solution to cut the gasoline.

One time, not thinking what I was doing, I poured a little hardware
store acetone into a Styrofoam cup, and instantly ended up with a big
gloppy mess of acetone and melted Styrofoam on my lap.

Then I felt dumb.

Gasoline does the same thing. Might take twice as long but you still
measure it in seconds and fractions there-of.

Oren[_2_] November 19th 16 06:57 PM

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 02:02:46 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:15:08 -0800, Oren wrote:

Lighter fluid, NAPHTHA!

Did you try peanut butter on the labels?

Butane might cut gasoline, as you suggested.
Naptha is almost certain verboten in California.

For removing labels I was suggesting lighter fluid (NAPHTHA) to remove
labels. Not suggesting mixing it with gas. I removes labels, tar,
grease & oil stains. https://tinyurl.com/hpzopew

I wasn't joking about peanut butter (smooth variety) either. It takes
longer so the oil soaks in and loosens the label. YMMV