DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   turnished solder (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/581307-re-turnished-solder.html)

Cursitor Doom[_4_] November 12th 16 11:07 PM

turnished solder

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:56:21 -0500, M Philbrook wrote:

I know some of you work on older PC boards that may have encoder being
stored or operated in damp areas, it tends to cause the solder to
turnish and is hard to rework for repairs..

Other than scrapping it, is there some ready made chemical that will
wash off the surface? Something like s Silver turnish remover?

Would a peroxide and white vinegar do something for me?

Jamie

X-posted to a more appropriate forum.

[email protected] November 13th 16 01:21 PM

turnished solder

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 6:08:10 PM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:56:21 -0500, M Philbrook wrote:

I know some of you work on older PC boards that may have encoder being
stored or operated in damp areas, it tends to cause the solder to
turnish and is hard to rework for repairs..

Other than scrapping it, is there some ready made chemical that will
wash off the surface? Something like s Silver turnish remover?

Would a peroxide and white vinegar do something for me?

Jamie

X-posted to a more appropriate forum.

In the last couple of years I have become addicted to wiping down anything I put the soldering iron to with liquid flux. Solder Wick becomes much more effective and less heat is needed. The only time I don't is if I'm using a vacuum iron because it gums up the works.

Adrian Caspersz November 13th 16 11:28 PM

turnished solder

On 13/11/16 13:21, wrote:

In the last couple of years I have become addicted to wiping down
anything I put the soldering iron to with liquid flux. Solder Wick
becomes much more effective and less heat is needed. The only time I
don't is if I'm using a vacuum iron because it gums up the works.

Normally I give instructables a wide berth for their kids inane content,
but this one seems interesting - and we have plenty of trees around here
with dropped pine cones.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...oldering-flux/

--
Adrian C