Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Caroline

Default PSU Fan Direction

I replaced my computer's 90-watt Newton power supply with a 180-watt Fortron
power supply today. I have not added any other new components, so the total
power consumed should not have changed. The new power supply unit (PSU) fits
perfectly in every way except one: The air flow direction is reversed. The old
fan's intake was on the back of the computer case. The fan exhaust was into the
computer, across the heat sink and CPU, and out the back of the case. The old
way arguably caused the case to be under a slight pressure.

The new fan arguably puts the case under a slight vacuum.

The heat sink prongs are hot but not so hot I can't safely (no burns) leave a
finger on it.

Should I just observe for awhile, playing it by ear?

Or should I figure out a way to reverse the fan flow direction in the new power
supply?

All experience is welcome. I googled and am not finding anything definitive.

Aside: After a lot of research on physical fit and electrical fit, brand names,
and cost, I bought the new power supply from newegg.com. With shipping,
altogether it cost $26. Ordered Tuesday night late, arrived Friday afternoon.